From now until we publish the 2016 edition of Best of Phoenix, New Times is naming 100 Tastemakers — members of our local culinary community who help shape the way we eat, drink, and think about food in Phoenix. Some you'll know, and for others, it'll be a first introduction, but each person on our list deserves a nod for helping make our city so delicious. Oh, and while you're here, be sure to check out our list of 100 Creatives.
52. Jonathan Buford of Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co.
Even before he became one of the most influential people in Arizona beer-making, Jonathan Buford embraced the entrepreneurial spirit. Buford grew up in Ohio, but when school didn't hold his attention, he learned to tap into his passions and create opportunities that truly inspired him. In 2002, he drove his 1988 Chevy Nova to Arizona on "a notion that there was a vast land to explore," and after marrying his wife in 2005, he wrote his first business plan and launched a window-cleaning company out of his garage in 2006.
It wasn't until 2010, while enjoying a backpacking trip through the Arizona wilderness, that Buford began to dream of opening a craft brewery and brewpub. The dream led him to Gilbert, where he successfully launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise $40,000 to launch the endeavor. After three years of homebrewing, Buford opened Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co. in the southeast Valley. Since opening, the brewing has become one of the most respected names in Arizona beer, even being named “The Best New Brewery in the World” in 2013 by ratebeer.com.
Today, Buford dishes on what he'd never put in beer and the three best hikes in Arizona.
My go-to place for cocktails in Phoenix is The Brickyard in Chandler and Bitter and Twisted — I had to name two!
The best-kept secret in Phoenix the access to all the amazing hiking!
Five years ago I was going bankrupt and I'd never thought I'd be actually running a successful business!
The three best hikes in Arizona are Grand Canyon Monument Trail to Deer Creek, West Clear Creek White Box/Hanging Gardens, and Bear Wallow Creek Trail to the Black River.
I'd never put GMO ingredients in beer.
The 2016 Tastemakers so far:
100. Aaron Chamberlin of St. Francis and Phoenix Public Market Cafe
99. Ross Simon of Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
98. Debby Wolvos of DW Photography
97. Anibal and Salem Beyene of Café Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant
96. Bo Mostow of Uptown Farmers Market
95. Julian Wright of Pedal Haus Brewery
94. Stephen Jones of The Larder + The Delta
93. Eric Glomski of Page Spring Cellars
92. Richard Bock of Giuseppe's on 28th
91. Walter Sterling of Ocotillo
90. Daniel Sevilla of Angry Crab Shack
89. Doug Robson of Gallo Blanco and Otro Cafe
88. LaDawn Driscoll of Liberty Market
87. Jason Calhoon of The Shop Beer Co. and Side Kick Cold Brew
86. Tim and Kim Cobb of United Lunchadores Street Gourmet
85. Micah Olson of Bar Crudo and Okra Cookhouse and Cocktails
84. Paola Embry of Christopher's + Crush and The Wrigley Mansion
83. Jared Porter of The Clever Koi
82. Diane Corieri of Evening Entertainment Group
81. Erich Schultz of Steadfast Farm Shares His Go-To Place For Beer That Tastes "Like Arizona"
80. Jeff and Leah Huss of Huss Brewing Company
79. Aaron Pool of Gadzooks Enchiladas and Soup
78. Diana Santospago of The Maine Lobster Lady food truck
77. Gio Osso of Virtu Honest Craft and Nico Heirloom Kitchen
76. Lauren Bailey of Upward Projects
75. Rodney Hu of Arizona Distilling Company and Yucca Tap Room
74. Jacob Cutino of Homeboy's Hot Sauce
73. Country and Sergio Velador of Super Chunk Sweets and Treats
72. Dean Thomas of Cornish Pasty Co.
71. Jennifer Caraway of The Joy Bus
70. Scott Holmes of Little Miss BBQ
69. Jared Allen of Proof Artisan Breads
68. Steve McFate of McFate Brewing Company
67. Mel Mecinas of Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
66. Jessa and Dan Koppenhofer of Gilbert Farmers Market
65. Todd and Kelly Bostock of Dos Cabezas WineWorks
64. Ryan Probst of Odelay Bagel Co.
63. Diana Brandt of AZFoodie
62. Benjamin Butler of Hayden Flour Mills
61. Jim and Maureen Elitzak of Zak's Chocolate
60. Michael Babcock of Welcome Diner and Welcome Chicken + Donuts
59. Nick Ambeliotis of Mediterra Bakehouse
58. Peter Kasperski of Cowboy Ciao and Kazimierz World Wine Bar
57. Kimber Stonehouse of LGO Hospitality
56. David Tyda of EATERAZ and Arizona Taco Festival
55. Pavle Milic of FnB
54. Pat Christofolo of Santa Barbara Catering Company and The Farm at South Mountain
53. Brandon Casey of The Ostrich