This historic theater has The Fox Theater Foundation to thank for its continued existence. The non-profit organization was created in 1999 for the sole purpose of restoring the theater and returning it to the Tucson community. Construction of the theater began in August 1929, though originally the theater was to be named the Tower Theater. It was meant to be a jewel of the Tucson downtown district and cost a total $300,000 to construct; it was designed as a vaudeville and movie house with a full fly-lost and dressing rooms beneath the stage. Eventually the changing times lead to the theater's decay though it was spared from destruction until residents came to return it to it's former glory. Now the theater hosts concerts, fundraisers, film screenings and live performances.