5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987)
There might not be a better way to describe this superhero theme than with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' own catchphrase "Cowabunga, dudes." Not only does the song tell an abridged version of the adolescent animals' origin story, but it's fun and it has withstood the test of time as a song that will worm its way into your brain and stay for a day or two.
4. The Original Spider-Man Theme (1967) “Spider-Man Spider-Man, does whatever a spider can." Simple, to the point, and completely unforgettable. Once you hear the song, not only do you know the words, but odds are you're going to have no choice but to finish the chorus. Not only does the track completely describe the cartoon, but because the spider fans who hear it can never forget it, it's definitely one of the best superhero theme songs out there.
3. Inspector Gadget (1983) The Inspector Gadget theme song is so good that DJs remix it all the time into club bangers. Inspector Gadget may not be much more than the Six Million Dollar Man for kids, but his theme song is the sort of Saturday morning cartoon show song that will go down in history. Everyone 20 and older has at some point sang the tune “do do do do do In-spec-tor Gad-get,” and that's what makes it so unforgettable and one of the best cartoon super hero themes of all time.
2. The Original Batman Theme (1966) Is there a more iconic TV super hero theme song than “na na na na na na na na BATMAN”? If there is I don’t want to know about it. The original Batman television theme song is one of those iconic pieces of Americana, and it is not going anywhere anytime soon. It’s a jazzy upbeat horn laden tune that gets your foot tapping. It’s the perfect song to go along with the show itself, which was really just a live-action cartoon.
1. X-Men: The Animated Series (1992)
Was there ever a cartoon theme that got the viewer more pumped than the theme song to the mid-’90s X-Men: The Animated Series? It was high-energy, and it was the sort of song that prepared the viewer to jump right into the show and fight alongside Wolverine, Jean Grey, Professor X, and all of the rest of Marvel’s signature mutants. It’s a horrible shame the movies didn't quite match the cartoon series' commitment to the source material, but at least fans can revel in the extremely choice theme song to their Saturday morning cartoon show.
UPDATE: The numbering on this list has changed since original publication.
KEEP PHOENIX NEW TIMES FREE...
Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.