A classmate of the man accused of shooting Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords this morning describes him as "left wing" and a "pot head" in a series of posts on Twitter this afternoon.
Caitie Parker did not immediately respond to our request for an interview, but her "tweets" in the hours after the shooting paint a picture of Jared Loughner as a substance-abusing loner who had met Giffords before the shooting. She says, Loughner described the congresswoman as "stupid and unintelligent."
We've confirmed that Parker and Loughner went to school together at Mountain View High School in Tucson and that both attended Pima Community College, so her claims of knowing Loughner seem to be legit.
Palin and Tea Party Rhetoric Was Not the Reason Gabrielle Giffords Was Attacked -- America's Treatment of Mental Illness is to Blame.
Jared Loughner Classmate: Memories of Loughner "Haunt Me." Describes Face in Mug Shot as "Soulless and Evil"
Parker "tweets" that she and Loughner were in the band together and were friends until 2007 when he became "reclusive" after getting alcohol poisoning and dropping out of college.
She describes him as "quite liberal" and as a "political radical."
Below is a log of "tweets" posted by Parker beginning around the time of the shooting.
- @antderosa it's loughner just checked my year book.
- @lakarune I haven't seen him since '07. Then, he was left wing.
- @noboa more left. I haven't seen him since '07 though. He became very reclusive.
- @antderosa he had a lot of friends until he got alcohol poisoning in '06, & dropped out of school. Mainly loner very philosophical.
- @antderosa As I knew him he was left wing, quite liberal. & oddly obsessed with the 2012 prophecy.
- @antderosa he was a pot head & into rock like Hendrix,The Doors, Anti-Flag. I haven't seen him in person since '07 in a sign language class
- @antderosa He was a political radical & met Giffords once before in '07, asked her a question & he told me she was "stupid & unintelligent"
- @antderosa I can. That is him.
- @antderosa I went to high school, college, & was in a band with the gunman. This tragedy has just turned to horrific.
- Official I went to high school & college, & was in a band w/ the gunman. I can't even fathom this right now.
- Saying Jared Laughner was the gunman. Really hoping that's not the same guy I went to HS with, really good friend. Freaking out right now!!!
- antderosa Arizona law enforcement official: "A person in the crowd shot back at the gunman."
Check out Parker's Twitter page here.
We've contacted Parker to try to get more information about Loughner. We'll let you know if she gets back to us.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.