Somehow, seven Mesa High School kids landed in the nurse's office yesterday with the same symptoms, and four were taken to local hospitals.
The mystery illness was apparently solved after one of the students told the cops they were all smoking the synthetic-chemical-laden substance known as "spice."
The youngsters -- who apparently didn't read our series on "spice" and "bath salts" tales -- were all in the nurse's office with high blood pressure, elevated heart rates, and elevated body temperatures, according to a Mesa police spokesman.
All seven students initially said they hadn't ingested anything illegal that would've caused this, although they may have been correct due to the questionable legality of "spice."
However, one of the kids finally told officers that it was the "spice" that did them in.
A Mesa police spokesman says it doesn't appear that any of the kiddos are still in the hospital.
Police are still investigating the students' apparent spice session.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.