The Maricopa County medical examiner's office confirmed the expected this morning -- "Burning Man" Michael Marin definitely ingested some of the cyanide that was later found in his car.
Marin collapsed in the courtroom a few minutes after he was declared guilty of burning down his Biltmore Estates mansion, and was later pronounced dead at a hospital.
It was pretty clear he popped something in his mouth after the verdict was read, and Maricopa County Sheriff's Office investigators later found a canister of sodium cyanide in his car.
MCSO said Marin ordered a canister of sodium cyanide off the Internet in 2011, before the trial, and had it sent by Fed-Ex straight to his doorstep.
Marin's family got this information over to MCSO, and investigators found the clearly labeled canister of cyanide in his car.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.