Not Victim Enough

Page 2 of 6

The nut of Boyden's complaints boils down to the following:
* After the grand jury did not indict Logan, Boyden waited weeks for a face-to-face meeting with county attorney officials, who then tried to explain, she says, that her injuries were not severe enough to warrant felony prosecution, despite her doctor's position.

Boyden presented county prosecutors with medical records made available after the grand jury's decision, detailing the full extent of her injuries, including a cheekbone so bruised it was originally suspected to be broken, concussion and throat damage so severe the doctor noted bruising on the inside of her larynx. Her dentist notes teeth loose in their sockets. Her chiropractor says her chronic back pain is directly attributable to the incident.

And still, no action from the county attorney.
* In January, Boyden approached Scottsdale city prosecutors. She's waited almost two months to hear back from them; they have the option of charging Logan with simple assault, a misdemeanor with a maximum jail sentence of six months. (He would face an average sentence of two and a half years if convicted in Superior Court of aggravated assault.)

Scottsdale city prosecutor Ann Garriott says the case is still under review.
* When Boyden asked Scottsdale police to let her purchase three or four of the photographs police had taken of her bruised, swollen face and bitten breasts, Boyden's only choice was to pay $2.25 each for all 129 photographs taken by police at the time of the incident--a total of $290.25.

And of those 129 photographs, only 22 were of Boyden at all. The rest were of her car and the crime scene. (Police had taken additional photographs of Boyden's injuries immediately after the alleged attack, but later said the film hadn't come out. So the only photographs Boyden can get her hands on were taken on August 14, after her bruises had begun to fade.)

* Although police took blood, hair and even pubic-hair samples from Logan, the condom has never been tested. Grudgingly--after being contacted repeatedly by Boyden and New Times--Detective Scott Popp last week located the condom and said he would send it to the Department of Public Safety for DNA testing.

But the most painful insult came on August 28, the day Boyden learned the grand jury had decided not to indict Logan. After hours of trying, Boyden finally spoke by phone with the county attorney who presented her case to the grand jury.

Boyden has spoken with so many people by now, she has to refer to her notes to keep the names straight. But not when it comes to deputy county attorney Hugo Zettler.

"Hugo Zettler, I'll never forget him," she says. "He said, 'Kim, you had too much to drink. You just took home the wrong guy. . . . I have a daughter just like you. I tell her all the time, "Don't bring home strange guys".'"

The worst part was that Zettler was laughing when he said it, Boyden recalls. Grand jury proceedings are completely, utterly, entirely secret--and so Kim Boyden can only speculate on what evidence Hugo Zettler did or didn't present to the grand jury, or why it chose not to indict Michael Logan.

The morning of Monday, August 12, 1996, did not start out well at all for Kim Boyden.

She'd been living in her new house for about two weeks when her burglar alarm went off, calling her home from the Phoenix office where she works as a commercial financier. Armed with her handgun, Boyden nervously walked through the house, checking every room. She was in the backyard when the gun accidentally discharged--leaving Boyden unhurt, but frightened.

To calm her frazzled nerves, she drove to Eli's for lunch and a drink. That's where she met Mike Logan. He, too, was having a bad day, he told her. He was involved in a custody battle over his 3-year-old daughter, was representing himself in court, and had taken the morning off to complete some legal documents due at his ex-girlfriend's attorney that afternoon.

Boyden ate some steak sliders along with her vodka. Logan just drank. They had been drinking for hours when he asked her to come along to the attorney's office to drop off the papers. Then they would dine, he said, at Marco Polo, a nearby restaurant.

That sounded okay to Boyden. But she insisted on driving. She thought she'd be safer in her own car. After the trip to the attorney, they proceeded to the restaurant, for more drinks. Logan later told police Boyden was all over him, making sexual advances; the bartender and two patrons told police the same. Logan also told police Boyden called a female friend, hoping to arrange a threesome.

KEEP PHOENIX NEW TIMES FREE... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Amy Silverman is a two-time winner of the Arizona Press Club’s Journalist of the Year award. Her work has appeared on the radio show This American Life and in the New York Times, the Washington Post, Lenny Letter, and Brain, Child. She’s the co-curator of the live reading series Bar Flies, and a commentator for KJZZ, the NPR affiliate in Phoenix. Silverman is the author of the book My Heart Can’t Even Believe It: A Story of Science, Love, and Down Syndrome (Woodbine House 2016). Follow her on Instagram (@amysilverman), Twitter (@amysilvermanaz), and at amy-silverman.com.