Music News

More on Clubhouse Owner's Arrest and How It Could Be the First Step Toward the Venue's Closure

Tempe Police Department dropped a major bombshell today when it announced the arrest of Eugenia L. Ruven, the owner of the Clubhouse Music Venue.

As we reported earlier this afternoon, the 44-year-old (who also owns the adjacent Horse & Hound Sports Grill) was cited and released by Tempe cops for code violations in regards to the venue's security plan permit, a misdemeanor offense, during the shootout between rival gang members outside the Clubhouse last Friday. 

Police officials also announced that the Clubhouse's security plan, which is an important part of its operational use permit, has been revoked by the city of Tempe, a move that could ultimately lead to the concert hall's closure.

According to Tempe PD Lieutenant Mike Horn, Clubhouse employees didn't follow the security procedures laid out in the plan, either last Friday night (when gangster rapper Nipsey Hussle was scheduled to perform) or during other concerts.

He added there was insufficient security both inside the venue and out in the parking lot during last Friday's hip-hop show.

"Based on the statements from the [club] specific to the parking lot, they were short at least one or two if not more in the parking lot that particular night," Horn says. "Therefore, she was basically cited for continued violations of the security plan. The security plans are there to protect the customers that go in there, the employees, the acts, and the surrounding businesses. We're concerned that the measures that have been clearly laid out to [Clubhouse employees] in the plan . . .haven't been put in place."

When reached by cell phone this afternoon, Ruven declined to comment on her arrest to New Times, stating that she was in the process of consulting with her lawyers. Her court date for the citation is set for March 19.

Meanwhile, she has five days to appeal the revocation of the security plan, and the city will then make its decision on the matter within 10 days.

Horn also stated that not only are city of Tempe officials looking into the Clubhouse's operational permit, but the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control is also investigating the situation for any potential violations.

All of this could mean bad news for the music venue. If its appeal is denied and its security plan stays revoked, the Clubhouse -- which has been open for the better part of a decade -- could lose both its use permit and liquor license and essentially would have to close.

Today's drama is just the latest in what will likely go down as the worst week in its history. In addition to the arrests, shows such as this weekend's Mobb Deep concert were canceled, and other upcoming gigs (including an appearance by The Ting Tings on March 20) have been moved to other local venues.

As we reported earlier this week, Ruven and other members of the Clubhouse's management stepped up security at shows since last Friday's shooting and have bent over backward to assist Tempe Police.

Horn even admitted as much earlier today. When asked whether Ruven has cooperated with the investigation, he stated that "for the most part they've worked with us."

It may be too little, too late however.

"I don't think she's a bad person," Horn added. "I've never met her and don't have any reason to believe that. It's just that unfortunately they're not doing everything that they need to be doing, and we can't afford to have this happen again."

See additional photos of the Clubhouse shooting.

See our previous coverage here:

Tempe Police Arrest Suspect in Clubhouse Shooting, Will Also Investigate Music Venue Itself

Shooting at Nipsey Hussle Concert in Tempe Last Night Injures 13 People. Suspects Still at Large

Suspect in Clubhouse Music Venue Shooting Identified by Tempe Police Department

Follow us on Twitter and friend us on Facebook