It's hard to believe, but we've been slogging through You Asked For It submissions for a year, as of today, May 21. My predecessor, Niki D'Andrea, started YAFI as a way of catering to local bands that bitched about her coverage and it still fills that function today though, as I learned, and as Niki has confirmed, we've been impressed by a handful of submissions we've gotten from bands brave enough to toss their CDs in the mail to us, knowing we'll write whatever we think about it without holding back.
If you'd like to get a sampling of what all we've reviewed in the last 52 weeks, starting with Niki's review of Underwater Getdown, and continuing through my review of J.D. Stooks, click here.
In the meantime, with Niki's help, I've compiled a list of the best and worst records that've come to us this way. Without further ado, that list. A big "Thank You!" to the great bands who've participated and a big "Ugh, why did you waste my fucking time" to the bands that sent us complete crap. Oh, and keep 'em coming. The address is at the bottom of this post.
1. The Dagg Nabbit Stubbs, Hot Garbage
2. Matthew Reveles, We'll Meet Halfway
3. Iwatchedherdie., The Ill Effects of Hope
4. Fetti Profoun, My Conviction
5. Hogjaw, Devil In The Details
1. The Video Nasties, The First Five Months
2. VW Trainwreck, Dramaturgy
3. Always Randy, Protect Your Nuts
4. Reign of Vengeance, Revenge By Bloodshed
5. Space Tourists, Corporate Dogs
If you're a musician from the Phoenix metro area and would like to submit a CD for review, please send it in an envelope marked "YAFI" to:
You Asked For It
c/o Phoenix New Times
1201 E. Jefferson Street
Phoenix , AZ 85032