Every week, the county's health inspectors within Maricopa County Environmental Services give restaurants grades after completing inspections. Participation in the rating system, however, is voluntary, which means owners or managers do not have to accept a grade after an inspection; instead, the restaurants are listed online as "not participating." And in some cases, grades posted online may change, which typically means a restaurant has provided necessary documentation for food safety or fixed a critical issue that led to a low grade. Here's a more detailed explanation of the violations:
March 2018's health inspections produced nine violations. It wasn't the worst month we've seen recently, though we did see violations involving grease traps and, oh yes, chewing tobacco. Here, we bring you into the know on the spots that were dinged by health inspectors. Here, too, are a few details on what inspectors saw:
Ramada Tempe (1701 West Baseline Road, Tempe)
"Hand soap not present at hand sink by warewashing area. When brought to attention, PIC replaced hand soap. Keep hand soap present at each hand sink at all times."
Subway (3317 South Higley Road Suite 108, Gilbert)
"Separation-Storage Observed a can of chewing tobacco located above the food prep table. Observed an E-cig on top of the microwave. Had employees relocate items at time of inspection."
Taquitos Jalisco Mexican Food (1052 West Broadway Road, Mesa)
"Observed grease built up all around the grease trap and splashed on the back wall behind the trap. Person in charge will have area cleaned up prior to re-inspection on 3/8/18. Grease needs to be maintained inside the trap to prevent contamination of surrounding area and storm drains."
Patra Catering (2303 North 44th Street Suite 5)
"The floor sink below the 3 compartment sink and the 2 floor drains were overflowing with wastewater when the water in the sinks were used. The south floor drain overflowed when the sanitizing compartment of the sink was used. The floor sink and the north floor drain overflowed with the handwashing sink and other sinks plumbed to the floor sink were utilized."
Haiku Tokyo (2224 East Williams Field Road Suite 108, Gilbert)
"Observed hazardous chemicals stored with food in the kitchen on shelf. Person in charge relocated food at time of inspection."
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Mama Chelo's (1620 South 16th Street)
"Operator does not possess a current food safety manager certification with priority violations during inspection. Operator could not answer foodborne illness or exclusion questions."
Thai Szechuan Restaurant (1116 South Dobson Road Suite 132, Mesa)
"Observed employee handling raw chicken then handle containers of spices and sauce without washing hands. Employee washed hands at the time of inspection. Hands should be washed immediately after handling raw animal foods to prevent the contamination of other foods, food contact surfaces, equipment, utensils and single-service items."
Euro Pizza Cafe (12645 North Saguaro Boulevard Suite 11, Fountain Hills)
"On cook line, employee cracked eggs with gloved hand, continued working with cooking utensils and dishware without washing hands. Instructed employee to wash dishware and utensils, remove gloves, wash hands, and don new gloves. Discussed proper handwashing and glove usage with manager and employee."
Supercarneceria La Hereford No 2 (8931 North Seventh Street)
"Observed a piece of open employee food sitting on a napkin stored in hot holding station next to fried pork rinds. PIC (Person-in-Charge) was notified and discarded. Ensure that all employee food is stored in a designated area and is kept separate from consumer food to prevent contamination."