Early this morning, a small kitchen fire broke out at Durant's, the legendary lounge that hosted the likes of Marilyn Monroe and John Wayne in its heyday. The blaze was quickly contained by firefighters, but there was some minor damage to the building's roof and ventilation system. No one was injured in the fire.
Durant's employees say it'll be a few days until the restaurant reopens for business -- possibly Thursday or Friday. In the meantime, they've ordered a new ventilation fan, which should arrive late tomorrow, and have called in roofers to assess the damage.
"It's a really slow night," remarked one employee when we called to ask about the incident. Well, at least the staff will get a short breather before the holiday rush. But thankfully, it seems we'll be back to sipping cocktails and chomping steaks at Durant's in no time.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.