Beer is a big deal in the Valley. From tastings and tappings to pairing dinners and more, there's a different beer event to attend pretty much every night. Every week, we'll curate upcoming brew-related goings-on and lay them out for you here. Your calendar will be as full of beer as your belly. Monday, May 14 Tucson Newbie Brewery Party - Papago Brewing Co.
Wednesday, May 16 Firkin Fantastic Night - Sun Up Brewing Co.
Thursday, May 17 Sierra Nevada Tap Takeover - Flanny's Bar & Grill Colorado Tap Takeover - Boulders on Broadway
Monday, May 14 Tucson Newbie Brewery Party - Papago Brewing Co. 6-8 p.m. Papago Brewing Co. hosts three of Arizona's newest breweries from Tucson: 1702, Borderlands and Dragoon. All three breweries will be bringing their IPAs for tasting. Beers:
- 1702 Rainy Day IPA
- Borderlands Noche Dulce Vanilla Porter
- Dragoon IPA
Wednesday, May 16 Firkin Fantastic Night - Sun Up Brewing Co. "Firkin" is the name given to wooden casks or barrels that hold beer, and on this night they'll contain samples of Sun Up's double red and double IPA. A $20 ticket gets you gets you a snifter of each cask, plus a buffet of appetizers. The party's limited to just 40 people, but you can purchase your tickets ahead of time at Sunup. Beers:
- Sun Up Brewer's Den Rex's Crimson Ale
- Sun Up Devious Double IPA
Thursday, May 17 Sierra Nevada Tap Takeover - Flanny's Bar & Grill 6:30 p.m. Sierra Nevada commandeers 20 taps at Flanny's -- one of Tempe's best beer bars -- for this event. Many of the brews on tap have never been seen outside the brewery's taproom, let alone in Arizona. Beers:
- Pale Ale
- Ruthless Rye
- Love Potion #69
- Southern Hemisphere Harvest
- Ovila Dubbel
- Ovila Quad
- Side Car Amber Ale
- Knightro Irish Stout
- Brown Ale
- Blonde Ale
- Best Bitter
- Flipside IIPA
Colorado Tap Takeover - Boulders on Broadway Twenty-eight brews from Colorado will flow from Boulders' taps, including offerings from Odell, Ska, Great Divide, Left Hand, Oskar Blues and New Belgium.
Check out more local beer events on the next page.
Friday, May 18 Parabola Release Party - Fox Cigar Bar
Saturday, May 19 AmeriCAN Canned Craft Beer Festival - Scottsdale Civic Center Odell Beer Dinner - Handlebar Pub and Grill
- Double Jack
- Pale 31
Saturday, May 19 AmeriCAN Canned Craft Beer Festival - Scottsdale Civic Center Presented by the Valley's own canned craft pioneers, SanTan Brewing Co., this festival of aluminum features an educational beer garden, beer Olympics competitions, a concert performance from Reel Big Fish, and more than 150 canned brews from breweries across the country. Presale tickets are just $25 and get you a four-ounce sample can along with 20 samples from participating breweries. CAN you dig it?
Beers (a small sampling):
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- 21st Amendment: Monk's Blood, Hell or High Watermelon
- Abita: Purple Haze
- Breckenridge: Summerbright Ale
- Narragansett: Lager, Cream Ale, Summer Ale
- Sixpoint: Bengali Tiger, The Crisp, Resin, Righteous Ale,
- Snake River: Pale Ale, Pako's EYE-P-A.
- Sun King: Sunlight Cream Ale, Wee Mac
- Tallgrass: Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat, Oasis, Buffalo Sweat, Velvet Rooster
- Two Beers: SoDo Brown, Evolutionary IPA
Odell Beer Dinner -- Handlebar Pub and Grill 6:30 pm Handlebar hosts Colorado's Odell Brewing Co. for this four-course pairing dinner. Beer and courses:
- Reception - Odell Double Pilsner
- First Course - Odell Shenanigans with marinated heirloom tomato, eggplant, and baby bell pepper tartlet with topped shaved asparagus, micro greens
- Second Course - Odell Easy Street Wheat with "panzanella" spring greens, heirloom tomato, mozzarella, evoo, and bell pepper
- Third Course - Odell 90 Shilling with Cutthroat Porter braised cured pork belly with white beans, swiss chard, oven dried tomatoes, red pepper coulis
- Dessert - Odell Saboteur with sour cherry flourless chocolate cake