Oscar season and all those fancy LA parties are in full swing. Hollywood outsiders (us!) are planning to gather in front of the big screen (in ball gowns, jeans or p.j.s) to argue over best and worst dressed, critique the speeches, guffaw (yawn -- maybe?) along with the hosts, dry a spent tear or two, even shake our fists at the Academy.
We need noshes and nibbles to make it through the taxing televised ceremony. Our eating plan =simple +quick+ tasty. Easy bites that go down well with any cocktail, brew or beverage you choose. Here are our nominations for ten easy hors d'oeuvres for a red carpet event.
Start with a tray of flatbread, toasted pita, and specialty crackers.
10 easy hors d'oeuvres after the jump
1. Blanched asparagus spears, wrapped in prosciutto serve with coarse grain mustard
2. Skewered bocconcini mozzarella, cherry tomato, basil leaf, sprinkled with ground black pepper, and drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar
3. Marinated olives: add a splash of extra virgin olive oil, fresh chopped rosemary, 1 Tablespoon orange or lemon zest, with a splash of orange juice
4. Goat cheese log dressed with chutney or warm honey
5. Hummus drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with smoked paprika or za-atar
6. Fresh radishes, baby carrots, and Persian cucumbers served with coarse sea salt
7. Cheese plate, mix styles: a bloomy rind: Brie or Camembert, a blue veined: Blue or Gorgonzola, and a farmhouse: Cheddar
8. Cocktail rye with herbed cheese spread (Boursin) topped with thinly sliced rare roast beef
9. Baked salami: cut salami ¾ of the way through in slices, smother in apricot jam, wrap in foil and bake 45 minutes at 350 F
10. Tuna (2 cans, packed in olive oil): drain and mix with 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley, 4 springs chopped fresh thyme, grated zest of (1) lemon, and 4 Tablespoons capers