9. Arizona Sky from Liberty Market -- Available on both the lunch and dinner menus, the Arizona Sky is piled high with smokey ham and creamy fontagne cheese and then topped with fresh mixed greens and a tangy roasted poblano aioli. All that good stuff is pressed panini style between two slices of amazing bread and served with a side of your choice.
8. Triple Grilled Cheese from Switch -- Fez and ReBar/Bliss' sibling Switch serves up a Triple Grilled Cheese that will remind you of your favorite childhood meal without the kiddie-menu stigma. The sandwich is made with Provolone, Cheddar, and American cheeses on buttery grilled Texas toast, and you can add avocado, tomato, or bacon if you desire a little more then cheese and bread. The sandwich comes with a Caesar salad on the side, but you can substitute wedge fries or, for a super cheesy experience, a small side of their signature mac n' cheese.
7. Grilled Cheese from O.H.S.O -- Arcadia's newest eatery and brewhouse combines Welsh Red Dragon cheddar with creamy fontina on toasted Italian bread and adds thick slices of tomato and crisp applewood smoked bacon to the mix for a pretty tasty G.C. Ditch the fries and cough up the extra buck for a cup of the restaurant's smokey tomato soup. The two were made to be together! Pricey, but worth it -- and one of your best bets at this hit-and-miss spot.
6. Griddled Cheese from The Main Ingredient -- Havarti, Munster, and cheddar all come together with thick slices of locally sourced tomatoes and golden grilled sourdough. It's simple but hits the spot when the grilled cheese craving hits. Plus, we get to eat it while enjoying a great Phoenix patio and listening to awesome music.
5. Truffled Grilled Cheese from Cafe ZuZu -- Only on the lunch menu, Zuzu matches melty fontina cheese with peppery arugula and oven-roasted tomatoes bursting with flavor. The bread is always perfect, and if you happen to be there during happy hour, you can snag a bare bones version of the sandwich with a cup of comforting tomato soup for just $5.
4. Croque Monsieur from Hillside Spot -- This Ahwatukee cafe serves up an open-faced version of our favorite fancy grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Served on a thick slice of our very favorite grilled MJ bread with a generous portion of ham and gruyere cheese, then topped off with a velvety bechamel sauce, this sandwich is worth the drive. If you like your sandwiches more ladylike, add an egg for no extra charge to turn it into a madame.
3. Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup Combo from The Roosevelt -- Nothing goes better with a toasty grilled cheese then a nice warm bowl of tomato soup -- except for a cold beer and a cozy bar. At The Roosevelt, the golden toasted bread with tangy sharp cheddar is just hot enough to ooze slightly out the sides; dip it in the velvet soup, and it's perfection on a plate. Just like we would make at home but better because someone else made it.
2. Halloumi Cheese from Citizen Public House -- This is far from your typical sourdough and cheddar grilled cheese, which is why we love it so much. You won't find another one like it anywhere in town. Halloumi cheese is a smooth Greek cheese made from a mixture of goat and sheep's milk with a slightly smokey flavor and a very high melting point -- which means you can grill it. CPH grills up giant hunks of the stuff and combines it with a delicious chickpea puree, tahini, ripe tomatoes, and mixed greens all on top of a soft roll. No bacon needed!
1. Beckett's Original Grilled Cheese from Beckett's Table -- Chef Justin Beckett may be a pork product wiz, but he also makes an outstanding grilled cheese sandwich. Crispy, cheesy, and totally indulgent, the four cheese blend oozes out from between buttery, cheese-sprinkled brioche. Toss a couple of pancetta strips on deck for a nice meaty crunch, and combine it with a bowl of silky roasted red pepper and tomato soup for a decadent comfort food meal.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
All our favorites lists also are available on our Best Of app -- see it in action here.
Ten Favorite Metro Phoenix Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Eleven Favorite Favorite Places for Sushi in the Valley
Ten Favorite Metro Phoenix Cupcakes
Eleven Favorite Barbecue Joints in Greater Phoenix
Ten Favorite Metro Phoenix Wine Bars
Ten Favorite Phoenix Irish Restaurant & Pubs
Six Favorite Specialty Cocktails in Phoenix
Ten Favorite Metro Phoenix Craft Beer Bars
Ten Favorite Gourmet Pizza Shops in the Valley
Five Favorite Japanese Restaurants in Phoenix
Ten Favorite Margaritas in Metro Phoenix
Ten Favorite Coffee Shops in Phoenix
Five Favorite Thai Restaurants in Metro Phoenix
Eleven Favorite Ice Cream Shops in Greater Phoenix
Ten Favorite Phoenix Happy Hours
Five Favorite Sonoran Dogs in the Valley
Ten Favorite Hot Dogs in Greater Phoenix
Ten Favorite Desserts in Phoenix
Ten Favorite First Date Restaurants
Ten Favorite Burgers in Greater Phoenix
Ten Favorite Downtown Phoenix Restaurants for Late Night Dining
Ten Favorite Vegetarian Entrees in Metro Phoenix
Ten Favorite Chinese Restaurants in Greater Phoenix