Last Call

The Only Glasses You Need for Your Bar

A lot gets said about what liquors you need to start a good home bar. Our own Zachary Fowle got a good answer from an excellent local bartender. But there's something else that's often neglected: You need to have something to hold your drinks. Sure, you can use that motley selection of coffee mugs and souvenir Hurricane glasses in your cabinet, but the right glass makes your drink more enjoyable. You need only five kinds of glasses to have something for every occasion.

5: Rocks glass, a.k.a. Old-Fashioned glass. Perfect for enjoying spirits neat or (of course) on the rocks. Look for ones that are about seven ounces. I get mine from IKEA, where they have fun mod designs for almost the same price as a thrift store.

4: Collins Glass, a.k.a. tall glass. The Collins glass comes into play for most simple mixed drinks, like Cuba libres, Cape Codders, and screwdrivers. The ideal size is 10 to 12 ounces.

KEEP PHOENIX NEW TIMES FREE... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
JK Grence
Contact: JK Grence