This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
There are a scores of places in town to get a good deli sandwich. Whether you're looking for the perfect crusty loaf of bread or the highest quality meats and cheese, you can bet there's a sandwich shop in this town that can suit your needs.
And then there's Cheese 'N Stuff. Since 1949 this little deli has been serving up classic deli sandwiches made with Boar's Head meats and quality cheese, and you can almost always count on owner Stan Zatwaski being the one behind the counter. The affordable lunch options and friendly service have made this eatery a staple of the uptown Phoenix neighborhood. And more important, a deli in a league of its own.
There are really no bad options on the Cheese 'N Stuff menu, but my personal go-to is to be The Tyler. Made with sliced turkey, Muenster cheese, and avocado spread, this sandwich even earned a nod from Esquire Magazine in 2008 on a list of best sandwiches in the country. There's just enough spice thanks to hot mustard and pepperoncini, as well as some vegetable love in the form of shredded lettuce and sliced tomato.
Simple? Maybe. Excellent? You bet.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery