If you know what you're doing, Vegas can be a really good place for a random fling. If you don't know what you're doing, Vegas can be a really bad place where you waste a ton of money trying to make a random fling happen.
There are no promises once you hit the Strip, but here are 10 dos and don'ts to help you on your way to Vegas hookup success.
10. Don't go out by yourself. No matter where you are, going out in a small group (three to five people, for the most part) is an easier way to socialize and meet new people than going out by yourself. Vegas is no different. If anything, Vegas is a tougher place to meet people when you're by yourself because everyone else is in a group. We're not saying it's impossible, but it'll definitely be easier if you bring friends.
9. Do keep your options open. Just because you've had a type in the past doesn't mean you should stick to that when you go to Vegas. You're going to meet a lot of people from a lot of different places and backgrounds, so there's really no excuse not to explore a little. By sticking to the type of person who can easily be found in your hometown, not only are you lowering your chances, but you're also taking out a lot of the fun of Vegas.
8. Don't get too drunk too early. It's tempting to drink from the time you wake up until the time you pass out when you're in Vegas, but that's not exactly conducive to catching the best-looking fish while you're there. By all means, go get hammered at a pool party (more on that later), but maybe give yourself a little time in the evening to recover before going out. Otherwise, you'll be the one who's down for the count by 10 p.m., missing all of the prime late-night hookup time.
7. Do take advantage of daytime activities. Unlike much of America, Vegas is a great place to meet potential hookups during the day. Whether it's at a pool party, in a casino, or at one of the hundreds of other attractions/events going on during the daytime on any given weekend, the meat market of the Vegas Strip is open. By relegating yourself to only find someone to share a hotel bed with after the sun goes down, you're losing out on roughly half of the time you could be meeting the available population.
6. Don't stick to one place. Sure, everyone has their favorite pools, bars, and clubs in Vegas, but if all you do is go to the same ones, you're going to meet the same people. If you've had great success meeting flings at those few places, stay there (obviously). If not, try somewhere new. You don't keep going to the same restaurants if the menu sucks every time, do you?
5. Do say yes to any opportunities. Sometimes, you're going to run into a situation in Vegas where you might be a little (or a lot) uncomfortable. We're not saying you should disregard your moral compass, but you should definitely be down to go a little outside of your bubble while you're there. This isn't just for hooking up, but for Vegas in general. You really haven't done Vegas until you've followed a group of Vietnamese high-rollers to their millionaire villa or go swimming with a stripper at 4 a.m., and neither of those are in just about anyone's comfort zones.
4. Don't go to a strip club. Speaking of strippers, their places of employment are probably the worst places in Vegas to pick someone up. Save your cash and go talk to someone who isn't being paid to be nice to you. It's that simple.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
3. Do be prepared for whatever may happen after the bars empty out. Anywhere that has bars has pretty much the same scene around closing time. There are hundreds (or thousands) of people pouring out of packed doorways, stumbling into the streets, and looking for either love, friendship, food, or a fight. Vegas isn't much different, but it's all on a bigger scale. In Vegas, if you're the one who's hosting or looking for a place to have an after-party (sexual or not), there's a good chance you'll find one.
2. Don't think getting a table will be enough. At clubs in most places, getting bottle service is enough to get the attention of people who might be looking to hook up. In Vegas, you can buy just about anything you want, but you may have to work a little bit harder to impress those whom you're looking to sleep with. The biggest VIP suite in the world won't be enough to get you laid on its own, so make sure you bring a little of your game with you as well.
1. Do have a roommate contingency plan. No one wants to be the roommate who gets sexiled in Vegas, and no one wants to have a one-night stand with another person in the room. We're not saying everyone needs to get their own rooms (unless you're all that sure that you'll be bringing people back), but going into the trip with an understanding of who sleeps where in the event that a room becomes single occupancy is a highly underrated move.