From time to time, the Thrifty Maker will find, bargain, borrow, steal (not really) to create something a little different. She'll rely on her own skills as a scout of treasures and will sometimes bring in a few experts to help.
Traditionally, scarecrows were set up in gardens and fields to keep unwanted birds, particularly crows, away from crops. But forget the farm, we're in the desert, and with Halloween just around the corner, we have some serious scaring to do.
Enter our very own lady Governor, Jan Brewer. Oh, yes she has did.
Ready to make your own Jan who's sure to scare the neighborhood? Grab the directions after the jump.
FOR THE BREWER SCARE CROW
- Two narrow pieces wood (2-feet-by-4-inches is easiest)
- Nail and Hammer
- Black T-shirt
- Craft glue
- Small plastic bugs and snakes
- Red Paint
- Black shawl or fabric
FOR THE RIP SIGN:
- Card stock or cardboard
- Sharpie Marker
- Metal or wood stake
1. To assemble your scary crow first nail together your two pieces of wood into a cross shape.
2. Cover the cross made of wood with a black tee-shirt
3. Glue plastic bugs to the shirt using tacky glue
4. Blow up a balloon (this will serve as the head)
5. Unfold a roll of medical gauze into a sheet
6. Cover the balloon in the medical gauze
7. Tie the gauze on at the bottom of the balloon with string
8. Cut strips of gauze to hang out of the arm holes
9. Water down red acrylic paint and rub it into the arm and face gauze
10. Tie the balloon, again with string, to the top of the wooden cross
11. Stick the extra gauze into the tee-shirt arm holes, hanging out a bit
12. Pull a picture of Jan Brewer or anyone else you find scary off of Google images. Print out of a color printer and cut round to fit on the balloon.
13. Glue or double stick tape the picture to the balloon.
14. Add a wig or a creepy black shawl to cover the top edge of the head. (Snakes can be added to the top of the head for a Medusa effect.)
15. Next create the RIP accessory by cutting the tombstone shape out of cardboard or card stock.
16. Write RIP onto the sign with a sharpie marker and glue to a wooden or metal stake.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
17. Add an IV bag of candy blood as an extra accessory.
Enjoy your super scary crow this Halloween!