Shore's a local historian who also shares his collection of notes and photos at a monthly slideshow/story telling session called Retro Spectacular at Phoenix Metro Retro. And oh yeah, he's known to wear a few pretty outrageous and fabulous things (like a Keith Haring track suit).
Today, the historian's sharing his closet.
What are you wearing right now?
A pair of heavy duty linen cargo pants from Buffalo Exchange, purple and teal socks with images of 3D glasses on them, pointed toe slip-on shoes, 50's aluminum wayfarer style glasses that have a lilac tinge and green tinted lenses, a striped long-sleeve T-shirt and a bright yellow polo I had silk-screened with an image of the Log Cabin Motel.
What's the last item of clothing you bought?
A great vintage hand-tooled western belt, now paired to a silver Arizona shaped belt buckle with an green enameled saguaro.
What is the item of clothing you most covet at the moment?
Always on the look out for amazing eyewear. I have been searching for workman orange frames. I figure if I need to wear them they might as well be fun ...
Give us a childhood memory of you and your clothes...
One childhood outfit that sticks in my mind is a green argyle sweater vest paired with a different hued green shiny polyester shirt, plaid pants and shoes called Armadillos. I knew that the shirt and vest didn't go together, but it was more about the attached emotions: The green argyle sweater vest and shirt were gifts from different grandmothers, the armadillo shoes because of the odd imagery of the critter (shoes were equally odd), and plaid is always great because it's a neutral. Sometimes I still dress for the emotional connections.
Name five items every man should have in his closet ...
- Neckwear ... ties ... bow ties both clip on and self tie, long ties wide and/or narrow. I have even ventured into the official Arizona neck tie with a Shiner fez bolo.
- Eyewear that really fits your personality. I have played consultant for friends who need new eyewear or an image pick me up.
- Sport coat -- It's something you could use as a pillow on a plane, wear to keep the chill off, or when you paint your bedroom.
- Fun Socks -- A flash of color and pattern that is your little secret for the day
- One piece of clothing that you have made your own, whether by altering by sewing on a patch, or even a stain from that mustard you spilled.
Name an item of clothing that's best when it's vintage:
I could say everything, but I'll focus on ties. Styles come and go -- thin/wide bowties, length, and colors and patterns that are outdated quickly, but vintage is an inexpensive way to give any outfit personality and a uniqueness all your own.
Name an item of clothing you should NEVER buy used:
I would never buy used socks there are already stretched out, though a pattern or color might be enticing, bunched up around your ankles would be uncomfortable.
What's your one piece of fashion advice for Phoenix?
Be an individual, there are many local sources to get one of a kind clothes from recycled to couture, local designers can create just for you, or alter your clothes to fit you and your personality.