4

WWE Superstar Daniel Bryan Stops Robbery of His Phoenix Home

^
Keep New Times Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Phoenix and help keep the future of New Times free.

Despite the fact he's been out of action the past couple months from an injury, WWE superstar and Phoenix resident Daniel Bryan is still a badass.

On Thursday evening, the 33-year-old professional wrestler (whose real name is Brian Danielson) put the smackdown on the attempted burglary of his Arcadia home, including chasing after the two robbers involved on foot and subduing one of them. And he did it with a wrestling move, no less, specifically a rear naked choke, better known as a sleeper hold.

See also: Wrestling Legend Bill Goldberg on What It Takes to Be a Real Man These Days

At a press conference this afternoon at Phoenix Police headquarters, Bryan and his wife Brie Bella, a fellow WWE performer, described how they returned home at about 7 p.m. last night and discovered the robbery in progress.

Bryan says the couple was pulling into their driveway when they saw two men partially emerge from a carport door leading into the home. Worried about the condition of their French Bulldog named Josie, they rushed inside and saw the robbery suspects drop their loot and flee the premises through an arcadia door in the back that had been broken into to gain entry.

"Our main concern was for Josie, so we came in, Brie went looking for Josie, I saw the guys running out the back, I chased 'em, I caught one of 'em, and kept him until the police got there," Bryan says.

Phoenix cops arrived shortly thereafter and arrested Cesar Sosa, the 22-year-old that Bryan had restrained, on burglary charges. According to Sergeant Tommy Thompson of Phoenix P.D., the suspect also had a felony warrant for separate kidnapping and burglary charged. The second robber, however, escaped on foot and is currently at large.

Bryan chalked up his pursuit of the suspects as something akin to an instantaneous "fight or flight" reaction. He estimates it only lasted about 50 meters or so before Sosa became winded.

"Exhaustion makes cowards of us all, and he was very, very tired, and it literally took zero effort to take him down," Bryan says.

Although Bryan, who's currently on hiatus from wrestling due to a serious neck injury, is happy that he was able to prevent the theft of several treasured possessions, including a silver bracelet from his recently deceased father, he admits to being "a little borderline ashamed" at taking off after Sosa.

"Its probably not the best thing to do, because you don't know what's gonna happen," Bryan says. "I just reacted, and that's what most people do."

His wife says she was concerned when Bryan started his chase.

"It's a scary thing because, especially seeing my husband go off," she says. "I was like, 'They might have guns.' And that was my first [thought]."

When asked by reporters if he'd put Sosa to sleep with the sleeper hold, Bryan said he wouldn't comment. He'd earlier joked about how should've maybe used a "Yes Lock," his signature submission maneuver when wrestling for the WWE.

Bryan, a former WWE world champion who's portrays a good guy in wrestling and is pretty laidback out of the ring, wasn't the only one who was poking fun at the situation during the press conference. One local journalist asked him a tounge-in-cheek question about whether WWE's current chief villains (and recent Bryan foes) Triple-H and Stephanie McMahon were possibly behind the robbery.

"Well, you know, and it's funny, they might, just to keep me from getting back to WWE," Bryan says. "So, who knows, maybe Triple-H is behind this whole thing?"

Another local reported asked if Bryan was more of a "bad guy," would he have let the robbers get away (read: the whole "honor amongst thieves" thing).

"I think the bad guys of the profession would actually have done something worse than I did, like hit em with a ratchet or something like that," Bryan says.

Or maybe even a steel chair, perhaps?

Follow Jackalope Ranch on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.