Daniel Rossen (left) and Fred Nicolaus of indie outfit Department of Eagles.
Brooklyn folktronica duo Department of Eagles found themselves -- or, more specifically, their October release In Ear Park -- landing on a number of requisite year-end top 10 lists. Critics from Filter and NPR gave the disc its due, as did countless wags from across the music blogosphere, describing the songs of Fred Nicolaus and Daniel Rossen (both of whom also star in the similarly-lauded folk band Grizzly Bear) as "an astonishing meditation on childhood" and "a soaring, dream-like reflection."
And now the album gets to be on one more list, namely the top 10 best-selling albums at indie record store Stinkweeds Music Exchange (12 West Camelback Road, 602-248-9461) for the week of December 29 to January 5. Click "More" for the rest of the list.
1. Department of Eagles, In Ear Park (4AD)
2. Belle & Sebastian, The BBC Sessions (Matador)
3. Crooked Fingers, Forfeit/Fortune (Constant Artists)
4. Flaming Lips, Christmas on Mars (Warner Bros.)
5. She & Him, Volume One (Merge)
6. Soy un Caballo, Les Heures de Raison (Minty Fresh)
7. Marrianne Dissard, L'entredeux (River Jones)
8. Calexico, Carried to Dust (Quarterstick)
9. Peachcake, What Year Will You Have the World? (Subtractive)
10. Kings of Leon, Only By the Night (Sony)