East Phoenix gay bar Nu-Towne Saloon was the unfortunate victim of an devastating fire earlier this week, which reportedly caused "extensive damage" to its interior.
Please refrain from making any jokes involving any wordplay with "flames" or "flaming," thank you very much.
Per reports by KTVK and FOX-10, the blaze was ignited early Wednesday morning and raged for approximately two hours before the Phoenix Fire Department arrived to extinguish the inferno. They apparently had trouble getting through the joint's steel security door, and were forced to cut a hole in the roof. No word has been released as to the cause of the conflagration.
Given that the fire had plenty of time to burn, it's a safe bet Nu-Towne's shabby-chic décor, which consists of various antiques and tschotchkes, has likely been reduced to rubble.
We're particularly curious as to the condition of the six-foot plaster rooster that occupied one corner of the bar, although it's a safe bet that particular chicken had been fried up.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.