By now you've probably heard the dozens of promos that KUPD has been running daily for the free Smashing Pumpkins concert they're putting this coming Thursday night.
Billy Corgan and his crew are making a swing through the Valley (guess they're not down with Zack de la Rocha and the Soundstrike) as a part of the world tour and the hard rock station is hosting an invite-only show at the Venue of Scottsdale.
Unfortunately, unlike other gratis gigs by local radio stations, you can't just waltz through the front door. There's a bit of rigmarole that one has to go through just to even get a shot at landing some tickets.
Read on for all the details on the hoops you'll have to leap through in order to gain access.
1. Enter a drawing: You can go to any one of a number of local businesses (including any Castle Boutique and a few Cricket Wireless stores) until the end of today and fill out an entry form. KUPD will then draw winners sometime before Thursday. Click here for a list of places to go.
2. Text "pumpkins" to 97936: Fire up your mobile phones and dispatch a text message to KUPD to be entered into yet another drawing.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
3. Listen to the station: If you're quick enough with the redial button, you can wait until one of KUPD's jocks decides to give away tickets.
4. Budweiser bar events: Local Bud reps will be holding parties at unspecified taverns and clubs around the Valley during the next couple nights and will be handing out even more tickets.
5. Impersonate a KUPD staffer: This isn't recommended, but try throwing on a Ed Hardy or Tapout shirt, overgel your hair, turn that Red Card in your wallet into a semi-professional-looking credential, and then try talking your way in. If you're male, try shaving your head and telling people you're John Holmberg's brother.
Best of luck. If this seems like too much hassle, however, the Pumpkins will be playing the Rialto in Tucson tomorrow night.