As governor, what do you do if your state's incarceration rate is 48 percent higher than the national average and is full of fourth-graders who can't read? If you're Governor Doug Ducey, you use tax dollars to launch a "rebranding" campaign, duh!
Ever since Ducey asked the public to submit ideas, Twitter has exploded with fantastic suggestions — because, really, when has a social-media campaign ever backfired for a state entity before?
We've rounded up 10 of our favorites here for your patriotic pleasure. You're welcome.
10. Are we sure it's only 10,000?9. Extra points for rhyming!
8. #Truth #Murrikkah7. Everyone loves a silver lining!
6. Punny and topical, what more could you ask for in a slogan?
4. This one needs no introduction.
3. This one is sure to draw the tourism mobs and job-creating businesses — oh wait, what's that? Companies don't want to relocate to Arizona? Why ever not?
2. So true it hurts — preach it, sister!
1. Probably our personal fave.
All in all, we couldn't agree with this guy more!
Didn't see your submission on this list? Leave it in the comments section below, and tag it #rebrandAZ on Twitter.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.