If you missed Bernie Sanders' rally in Phoenix Tuesday night, just know one thing: The crowd could not stop applauding and cheering for their candidate.
Sanders talked for more than an hour, touching on all of his favorite topics, like income inequality, reforming the criminal justice and immigration systems, and guaranteeing certain "inalienable" rights like healthcare and paid family leave to all Americans.
While everything he said elicited support from the crowd, some comments made the room go totally and insanely nuts.
Here are the top 15 quotes from his Phoenix rally:
15. “What this campaign is about is asking the American people to think outside of the box, think outside of the status quo ... This campaign is about the incredible energy of hundreds of thousands of people that love this country and know we can do so much better.”
14. “The grotesque income inequality in this country is not only unsustainable, it’s un-American.”
13. “The wealthiest family in this country is the Waltons who own Walmart … I say to the Waltons, ‘Get off welfare, pay your workers fairly.’”
12. “I know that every man in this room will stand with the women in this room in the fight for [pay] equality.”
11. “To my mind, democracy is not complicated: It’s one person, one vote … Together we are going to overturn this disastrous Citizens United.”
10. “We are going to end the militarization of the police. Our police shouldn’t look like occupying armies, they should look like the communities they serve.”
9. “I want to tell you a story about Goldman Sachs,” Bernie begins before being interrupted by huge “Boo” from the crowd. “Okay, so you know Goldman …”
8. “The function of immigration reform is to unite families, not divide them”
7. “A bedrock principle of this campaign is that we will be judged as a nation not by how many millionaires and billionaires we have, but by how we treat our most vulnerable.”
6. “The real reason Donald Trump will never be elected president is that the American people will never accept insults to Mexicans, Muslims, and women. … This campaign is successful because we are listening to the American people.”
5. “It is beyond belief that we have a major political party that rejects climate change, [because] if we don’t get our act together, we are going to leave a planet to our children and grandkids that is unhealthy. And that is unacceptable.”
4. “When [many Republicans] talk about family values, they mean that no woman in this room has the right to control her own body and that gay couples don’t have the right to get married. When we talk about family values, we talk about ending the embarrassment of being the only country in the industrialized world that doesn’t provide paid family leave to our workers.”
3. “To be truly free, you need economic security.”
2. “I listened closely to what George Bush and Dick Cheney had to say [about needing to invade Iraq], and I did not believe them.”
1. “We can make real change, but we can’t do it if they divide us … What Donald Trump is about, and what other demagogues have always been about, is scapegoating minorities and turning one group against another. But if we stand together, there is nothing we cannot accomplish.”
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.