It took about a week, but the match-ups for all nine of Arizona's congressional races have been decided.
The Republican primary in Congressional District 1 had been too close to call since the primary election last Tuesday, but businessman Gary Kiehne has conceded defeat to Arizona House Speaker Andy Tobin.
See also: -Earlier: Andy Tobin Leads Gary Kiehne in CD1
The two had only been separated by a few hundred votes, as provisional ballots and early ballots cast on the day of the election were still trickling in. State Representative Adam Kwasman had also been involved in the three-way race, but it was clear on the night of the election that he wasn't making the cut. Official election results won't be posted until September 8.
Tobin will face Democratic Congresswoman Ann Kirkpatrick in the general election, and in Kiehne's concession statement, he gave his endorsement to Tobin, saying his "top priority this fall is to see Republicans win here in Arizona." so I want to offer all of my support to our Republican nominee Andy Tobin and all of the other Republican nominees in the general election.
Here was Tobin's reaction on Facebook:
It's taken a while to count the ballots in our race, and it's now clear that we have won the Republican primary! I can't thank you enough for everything you did to get us across the finish line. Your generous contributions of time and energy are what got us here. I also want to thank Adam Kwasman and Gary Kiehne for a spirited and civil contest. I spent the weekend traveling our district, and everywhere I go, I hear from Arizonans of all parties that they are ready for a representative that isn't beholden to Washington, DC or Nancy Pelosi. On to victory in November!All of the congressional match-ups are now set, and are listed below:
- CD1: Andy Tobin (R) v. Congresswoman Ann Kirkpatrick (D)
- CD2: Martha McSally (R) v. Congressman Ron Barber (D)
- CD3: Gabby Saucedo-Mercer (R) v. Congressman Raul Grijalva (D)
- CD4: Congressman Paul Gosar (R) v. Mike Weisser (D)
- CD5: Congressman Matt Salmon (R) v. James Woods (D)
- CD6: Congressman David Schweikert (R) v. John Williamson (D)
- CD7: Ruben Gallego (D) v. Joe Cobb (L)
- CD8: Trent Franks (R) (unopposed)
- CD9: Wendy Rogers (r) v. Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema (D)
Got a tip? Send it to: Matthew Hendley.