Arizona voters sent a strong message to labor unions in today's election, appear to have banned affirmative action in state and local government programs, and rejected the idea of getting forced to buy government health insurance.
The ballot measures supporting the above (mostly symbolic) ideas won by large margins with 96 percent of voting precincts reporting:
* Proposition 106: The Anti-"Obamacare" measure wins 55 to 45.
* Proposition 107: Affirmative action foes won out 60 percent to 40 percent.
* Proposition 113: Labor unions shouldn't mess with secret ballots, say 60 percent of voters.
Conservatives have their day.
You might think the same 55 to 60 percent of right-wingers would have altered the state constitution to "protect" hunting and fishing. But that measure, Prop 109, failed 56 to 44.
Three other measures failed, as of 12:30 a.m.'s totals:
* Prop 111, which sought to rename the Secretary of State's position to Lieutenant Governor.
* Props 301 and 302, which were referred to the ballot by lawmakers intent on raiding money from land conversations funds and education programs.
At this writing, Prop 203, the medical marijuana initiative, was too close to call.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.