Most Arizona voters hate the idea of cutting education to help balance the state's budget, says a new poll by KAET-TV and the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism.
Sixty-nine percent of respondents answered "education" to the question, "The one area in which I think cuts should NOT be made in is..." The second runner-up was public safety, at 10 percent.
The poll, conducted from April 23-26, also shows healthy support for a temporary boost in state sales tax. Questions were asked about Governor Jan Brewer, President Barack Obama, and the recession. Here are the results:
1. First, overall, do you approve or disapprove of the job Barack Obama is doing as president of the United States? Total With opinion approve 53% 60% disapprove 36% 40% no opinion 11% ----
2. Would you say the current financial crisis has affected you and your family a great deal, somewhat or really not much?
a great deal 28% somewhat 48% really not much 24%
3. Thinking about the next year or so, do you think your financial situation will stay about the same, get better or get worse?
stay about the same 49% get better 27% get worse 20% no opinion 4%
4. How much confidence do you have that President Obama is making the right decisions to pull the country out of our current economic crisis? Do you have a great deal of confidence in what he is doing, some confidence or not much confidence?
Total With opinion a great deal of confidence 27% 28% some confidence 33% 34% not much confidence 37% 38% no opinion 3% ---
5. Do you think the way President Obama has conducted foreign affairs since he has been in office has improved the image of the United States abroad, worsened our image or made little difference? Total With opinion improved 48% 51% worsened 27% 29 little difference 19% 20 no opinion 6% ---
6. Next, we'd like to know how you would rate the job that Jan Brewer is doing as governor of Arizona. Overall, do you approve or disapprove of the job she is doing?
Total With opinion approve 37% 56% disapprove 28% 44% no opinion 35% ----
7. How much confidence do you have that Governor Brewer is making the right decisions to pull the state out of the current economic crisis? Do you have a great deal of confidence in what she is doing, some confidence or not much confidence?
Total With opinion a great deal of confidence 7% 9% some confidence 40% 49% not much confidence 34% 42% no opinion 19% ¬---
8. Arizona is facing a large budget deficit for the next fiscal year and some programs and services will have to be cut in order to balance the budget. Please finish this sentence for me: The one area in which I think cuts COULD be made is: Administration 8% Roads/transportation 6% Salaries of top officials 4% Government spending 3% Don't cut anything 3% Welfare 3% Education 3% Elected officials 2% Social services 2% Benefits/services for illegals 2% Prison system/jails 2% Other 16% No answer 46%
9. Now, please finish this sentence: The one area in which I do NOT think cuts should be made is: Education 69% Public safety 10% Healthcare 3% Children's services 3% Border patrol 3% Other 5% No answer 7%
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
10. Governor Brewer has proposed a temporary one-percent sales tax increase to help offset the deficit in the state's budget. Would you support or oppose this proposal?
Total With opinion support 60% 63% oppose 35% 37% no opinion 5% ---
11. How important is it to you that Arizona schools provide all-day kindergarten? Is it very important somewhat important or not very important?
very important 41% somewhat important 25% not very important 30% no opinion 4%