4
| Crime |

Glendale Boy Who Provided Gun in High School Shooting May Be Charged

^
Keep New Times Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Phoenix and help keep the future of New Times free.

Glendale police say they're submitting felony charges against the teen who provided the gun in the pre-Valentine's Day murder-suicide of two teen girls at their high school.

The families of both of the deceased 15-year-olds in the February 12 incident at Independence High School don't want the boy, who's also 15, charged, police say in a statement issued today. But the cops are  submitting the boy for charges anyway.

Whether the unidentified boy actually will be charged is up to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office: The report on the February 12 incident hasn't yet been reviewed by prosecutors.

Police are seeking a charge of sale or gift of a firearm to a minor, a low-level felony.

The "white female suspect" in the case still hasn't been named by police. However, fellow students identified the suspected shooter as Dorothy Dutiel, and her victim as May Kieu.

The girls were in a serious relationship, expressing "love" for each other and posting pictures on social media of themselves as a couple.

Their bodies were found near an administration building on campus about 8 a.m., prompting fears of a potential mass-shooting incident. The school went into lock-down mode and students were released early, many carrying Valentine's gifts as worried parents picked them up.

Police said a gun and a suicide note had been found near the bodies and that each girl suffered a single gunshot wound. A report on the incident would be released today, police said.

The charge against the teen boy who provided the gun "will be submitted upon completion of reports and examination of all evidence. Both families DO NOT wish to prosecute the 15-year-old male teen," the police statement says.

Jerry Cobb, spokesman for County Attorney Bill Montgomery, says he can't comment on the potential of charging the boy yet. In general, he says the office would take the wishes of a victim's family into consideration, though without necessarily giving a family "veto power" over a charging decision.

Another possibility is that the investigation could expand to include the boy's parents or guardians.

"We've in the past charged adults when a minor has been able to access an adult's firearm," he says.

Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.