| Crime |

Jesus Busso Estopellan Pleads Not Guilty to Murdering ASU Pre-Med Student and Friend Over Drug Deal With "Jamaican"

Jesus Busso Estopellan, who admitted murdering an Arizona State University student and his friend earlier this month, was in Maricopa County Superior Court this morning where he pleaded not guilty to two counts of murder.

Estopellan has already admitted to police that he murdered the two men in late June after getting ordered to do so by an unidentified "Jamaican" following a weed deal gone wrong.

According to court documents obtained by New Times, Estopellan told detectives he brokered a weed deal between victim Olek Wladyszewski, 19, and the "Jamaican" about three months ago. The "Jamaican," however, didn't honor the repayment agreement, and when confronted by Estopellan, he threatened him and his family.

Wladszewski, court records reveal, was arrested in May after telling police he was robbed of $500. It was determined he had earned that money by selling weed, which prompted a search of his car where police discovered marijuana, cocaine, and a semi-automatic pistol.

It's unclear if the person who stole the $500 is the "Jamaican" Estopellan says threatened him, but the theft occurred around the same time Estopellan claims he was told to off Wladszewski.

Either way, Estopellan told police the mysterious "Jamaican" told him "you need to take care of [Wladszewski]."

He says he was scared for himself and his family and began to formulate a plan to kill Wladszewski. He says he arranged a meeting with him to sell him some pills early Wednesday morning.

The other victim, 18-year-old pre-med student Tyler Webster, appears to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time -- Estopellan says his plan was only to kill Wladszewski and he was surprised when he showed up with Webster.

Estopellan told police he walked up to the car the two men were in and shot them both in the head.

When police got to the scene, they found Wladyszewski -- who was in the driver's seat of Webster's 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse at the time -- dead. Webster, who reported the shooting to police, was unresponsive. He was taken to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center in critical condition. He was pronounced dead shortly after.

Estopellan, who is in the country illegally, was out on bail for a previous felony charge at the time. He remains in a Maricopa County jail without bond.

Estopellan's next court appearance is scheduled for September 1, in front of Court Commissioner Christine Mulleneaux.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.


Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.