For more than two decades, Sheriff Joe Arpaio's top flack, Lisa Allen, has shamelessly promoted her boss to clamoring packs of amoral bottomfeeders masquerading as journalists.
Now Allen is calling it quits and shuffling off to Boise, Idaho, to be with her new hubby, an ex-MCSO detention officer who has relocated to tater-land for unknown reasons.
Here are 10 of the dumbest and/or most disgusting Sheriff's Office PR stunts during her time as Arpaio's well-paid pimp. 10. Arpaio's asinine investigation of President Obama's birth certificate.
9. "Pedal vision," where female inmates generated electricity to power a color TV by riding a stationary bike. 8. Feeding slop to inmates: from going vegetarian to making prisoners pay for salt and pepper, this source of stories never ran dry. 7. Racial profiling: Arpaio and the MCSO were found guilty of it in 2013 by federal Judge G. Murray Snow. Allen expressed doubts privately. Publicly, she defended the unconstitutional practice.
6. MCSO's "Con Rail" planned to transport inmates in stripes via metro Phoenix's light rail, mingling with tourists and commuters. This ticked off so many that Arpaio scrapped it before it began.
5. The forced march of hundreds of Hispanic prisoners into a segregated area with electric fencing.
4. Saving a pit bull named Mickey from getting put down after it mauled and disfigured a little Latino boy. The dog was white, the boy was brown. Local racists loved it. 3. Falsely sliming Arpaio's perennial rival, Dan Saban, as a mother-raper. For this alone, Saban probably deserves to be sheriff.
2. Steven Seagal: Arpaio gave the washed-up action hero and lame reality show star carte blanche with his agency, making the MCSO even more of a laughingstock than it already was.
1. The framing of James Saville for a phony assassination plot against Joe. Saville spent four years in jail fighting the bogus charges against him, was acquitted, sued the county, and scored a $1.1 million settlement.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!