4
| News |

Phoenix Animal Hospital Reports More Cases of Pets High on Marijuana

^
Keep New Times Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Phoenix and help keep the future of New Times free.

More people have been bringing their pets to Phoenix-area animal hospitals to treat marijuana ingestion, according to a local chain of animal clinics.

According to the Emergency Animal Clinic -- which owns five hospitals across Phoenix, the East Valley, and West Valley -- there's been a pretty sharp increase in such cases over the past few years.

According to the Emergency Animal Clinic, they averaged about six cases a month in 2012, nearly a dozen a month in 2013, and nearly two dozen a month so far this year.

That increase happens to coincide with the opening of medical-marijuana dispensaries in Arizona. Although the voters passed the Medical Marijuana Act in late 2010, due to the regulatory process, the first dispensary didn't open until December 2012.

The company says pets have gotten high from inhaling smoke, eating the dried plant matter, or eating marijuana-infused food products. As you can imagine, these local animal hospitals report seeing more cases of pets eating the marijuana-infused foods, and they're less likely to eat a bag of plant matter.

Reports from other states, including scientific research, indicate that this isn't unique to Arizona.

According to the Emergency Animal Clinic, it's very rare for a pet to die from marijuana exposure, but they can have some negative symptoms:

Signs of marijuana poisoning in dogs and cats include glassy-eyes, stumbling, dilated pupils, vomiting, and coma. Urinary incontinence or urine dribbling is also very common, especially in dogs. Serious effects include changes in heart rate, coma, tremors, and seizures. Effects can be seen for up to 48 hours after ingestion depending on the amount ingested and the size of your pet.

According to one of the Emergency Animal Clinic vets, people have been apprehensive to admit that their pet ingested marijuana, which only draws out the process of diagnosing and treating the animal.

Got a tip? Send it to: Matthew Hendley.

Follow Valley Fever on Twitter at @ValleyFeverPHX.
Follow Matthew Hendley at @MatthewHendley.

Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.