Welcome to Courthouse Update, a weekly rundown goings-on at the Maricopa County Superior Court.
This week was a bit light due to the holiday, but former Phoenix Suns player Richard Dumas gets a day in court, and more:
- Richard Dumas pleads not-guilty
Richard Dumas, a former Phoenix Suns player who spent most of his short-lived career here, was picked up in an organized retail-theft bust. Dumas' drug usage cut his career short, and his financial troubles were nearly immediate once he left the NBA in 1996. Now, he's been arrested for allegedly stealing things like DVDs and cigarettes.
Next page: Court facts
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
- Superior Court facts
- "Did you know that Superior Court in Maricopa County is the 4th largest trial court in the country?"
- "Total number of filings in Superior Court in FY13 was 202,628."
- "On any given day there are 2,750 hearings held in Superior Court in Maricopa County."
- "In FY13, Superior Court summoned 492,265 jurors for jury duty."
- "In FY13, the Jury Office paid $1.08 million in juror pay and $1.8 million in juror mileage."
- "There are 95 Superior Court Judges and 59 Superior Court Commissioners. Commissioners also serve as Pro Tem Judges."
- "The most frequently charged juvenile offense is shoplifting."
As we mentioned, it was a light week due to the holiday, but the superior court's public-information team tweeted out some court facts this week we thought we'd pass along: