A march at the state Capitol in protest of Arizona's Senate Bill 1062 is taking place later today.
There already have been protests against the "religious freedom" bill in Flagstaff, Phoenix, and Tucson, but several local groups have been trying to get people out to the Capitol today for a large protest.
This protest is being organized by Human and Equal Rights Organizers (HERO), a Phoenix LGBT advocacy group.
The protesters will be joining businessman, politicians, and countless other citizens in calling on Governor Jan Brewer to veto the legislation, which would expand the rights of businesses to make exercise-of-religion claims in court. Many people believe this is a way to discriminate against LGBT people, since they're not a protected class of people under Arizona law.
Find New Times' coverage of SB 1062 below:
- Arizona Chamber of Commerce, Sane Republicans, Run Screaming from SB 1062
- How Arizona Looks to the Rest of the Nation, Thanks to SB 1062
- SB 1062 Protesters Denounce So-Called "Religious Freedom Bill," Video by Dennis Gilman
- Political, Business Leaders, Gay-Rights Activists Call On Governor To Veto "Religious Freedom" Bill
- Russell Pearce, Paul Babeu, Cathi Herrod's Discrimination Bill, and the Love that Dare Not Speak Its Name
- Arizona's "Religious Freedom" Bill in the Hands of Governor Brewer
- Arizona's Anti-LGBT "Religious Freedom" Bill Trolled by a Pair of Democratic Senators
Got a tip? Send it to: Matthew Hendley.
Follow Valley Fever on Twitter at @ValleyFeverPHX.
Follow Matthew Hendley at @MatthewHendley.