The early-morning fire at Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard's downtown Phoenix home was caused by a refrigerator in his detached garage or an outlet the fridge was plugged into, fire officials tell New Times.
Neighbors reportedly saw 40-foot flames at the structure. The garage is used as a workshop and "storage facility," says Goddard's office.
Goddard, his wife, and son had been sleeping at home when the fire broke out -- they weren't hurt.
Shelly Jamison, spokeswoman for the Phoenix Fire Department, says that contrary to some initial reports, the fire was not "suspicious" or connected to a fallen power line.
Goddard lost several precious items in the fire, Jamison says.
Family and personal records, personal papers "going back to his time as [Phoenix] mayor," and some photos were among the items destroyed, Jamison says.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.