Since 2008 America's Taco Shop has been a local favorite for carne asada and other Mexican specialties but the number of local outlets has recently decreased by one.
The second location of America's Taco Shop, found at 4447 North Seventh Avenue, closed last month. The original location at 2041 North Seventh Street and a nearby franchised location of the restaurant at 1615 East Camelback Road remain open.
You may remember that in 2011 America's Taco Shop entered a partnership with Kahala, a Scottsdale-based company "dedicated to the franchising, development, and marketing of quick-service restaurants." Since then, the number of America's Taco Shop locations has exploded to include about 14 restaurant around Arizona and across the country.
The new locations, however, offer a distinctly different vibe than can be found at the original Phoenix location and three others still owned by founders America and Terry Bortin. We're pretty sad to see the rough-around the edges Seventh Avenue restaurant go, while the sleeker, franchised iterations of the restaurant live on.
America Corrales, who was born in Mexico, opened the first America's Taco Shop in 2008 in a renovated home on Seventh Street. The restaurant became a hit for dishes such as the quesadilla de carne asada and Torta Pastor.