| August 5, 2014 | 11:00am
Support the independent voice of Phoenix and help keep the future of New Times free.
Last year we marked the hundred day countdown to Best of Phoenix by sharing some of our favorite food folks' "Personal Best" lists. This year we're bringing back our list of 100 Favorite Dishes. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
36. Basil Lime Sorbet from Sweet Republic
See also: Sweet Republic in Phoenix Now Open; Here's a Peek at the New Space and Menu Items
A cold scoop of ice cream is just about the only suitable consolation prize for enduring an Arizona summer so it makes sense that one of the nation's best ice cream shops would be located here in the Valley. And we're not the only ones that think Sweet Republic is great. Over the years the shop's one-of-a-kind ice cream flavors have landed it on the pages of national publications including Time, Sunset, and Food & Wine.
Owners Jan Wichayanuparp and Helen Yung first opened Sweet Republic in 2008 and almost immediately won Valley diners over with unexpected flavors like Honey Blue Cheese and Sichuan Orange Chocolate. These days the duo also operates a Sweet Republic location in Phoenix and at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.
Of all the Sweet Republic creations old and new, our favorite is still the Basil Lime sorbet. It's a simple but refreshing combination of fresh lime juice and pieces of basil that makes a perfect after-dinner treat for the summertime. We love the lightness of this dessert -- and that fact that it doesn't make us feel quite as guilty as other frozen treats. The simplicity of the dessert really lets the high quality ingredients shine.
Miss a dish?
100. Pork Belly Pastrami from Citizen Public House
99. French Onion Soup from Bonjour Vietnam
98. Whiskey Cream Gelato from Marrazo That's Amore
97. Breakfast Croissant from Cartel Coffee Lab
96. Salmon "Yasu Style" at Yasu Sushi Bistro
95. Cannoli from DeFalco's Italian Deli
94. Falafel Sandwich from Al-Hana Restaurant
93. PBLT at Bootleggers
92. Samosa from Little India
91. Combo Plate from El Pollo Supremo
90. Brunch Burger from Orange Table
89. Duck Fat Fries from Bourbon Steak
88. Kurobuta Pork Chop from Noca
87. Carne Adovada Enchiladas from Los Dos Molinos
86. Maple Bacon Doughnut from Rainbow Donuts
85. Pad Khing from Nunthaporn's Thai Cuisine
84. Mariscos con Arroz from Tumi Fine Peruvian Cuisine
83. Chicago Dog from Portillo's Hot Dogs
82. Lemon Bars from Phoenix Public Market Cafe
81. Preserved Pickle and Pork Noodle Soup from Asian Cafe Express
80. Maine Lobster Roll from The Maine Lobster Lady
79. Lengua Tacos from Asadero Norte de Sonora
78. Black Licorice from Super Chunk Sweets and Treats
77. Cracker Jack from House of Tricks
76. Chicken Achari Curry from Curry Corner
75. Lavender Berry Lemonade Popsicle from AZ Pops
74. Truffle Bikini from The Tavern
73. Lemon and Basil Chicken Salad Sandwich from Essence Bakery Cafe
72. Oaxaca Special Burro from Carolina's
71. Texas Po' Boy from Texas BBQ House
70. Thai Noodle Soup from RedThai
69. Breakfast Sandwich from Lux Central
68. Deep Fried Duck with Taro from Hong Kong Asian Diner
67. Chicken Pot Pie from The Duce
66. Alfajores from El Chullo
65. Chashu Ramen from Sushi Ken
64. Yukon Gold from The Parlor Pizzeria
63. Crispy Pig Ears from Bar Crudo
62. French Fries from Cafe Bink, Bink's Midtown, and Bink's Scottsdale
61. Croissant Bread Pudding from Ollie Vaughn's
60. Kale Caesar Salad from Original ChopShop Co.
59. Chilaquiles from La Tolteca
58. Farmstead Goat Milk Caramel from The Simple Farm
57. Pistachio Chicken Liver Pate from The Gladly
56. Paitan Ramen from Umami
55. Nopales and Longaniza Taco from El Tlacoyo
54. Chicken Feet from Great Wall Cuisine
53. The Oggie from Cornish Pasty Co.
52. The Lady from Short Leash Dogs
51. Pork Belly Pibil from The Mission
50. Mixed Grill from Copper Kettle
49. Oxtail Noodle Soup from China Magic Noodle House
48. Two Meat Plate from Little Miss BBQ
47. PB&B Burger from Welcome Diner
46. West Lake Soup from New Hong Kong Restaurant
45. Short Rib Hot Pot from Lucky's King Wah
44. Ful Medames from A.T. Oasis Coffee & Tea
43. Spinach Spaetzle from Beckett's Table
42. Onion Rings at Joe's Farm Grill
41. No. 2 Crepe from Jobot Coffee
40. Buttterfish Tataki from Roka Akor
39. Grilled Octopus from Virtu Honest Craft
38. Boricua from Republica Empanada
37. Lil' Amadi from Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles
Follow Chow Bella on Facebook and Twitter and Pinterest.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.