72. Dean Thomas of Cornish Pasty Co.
Can you even call yourself a true Tempe resident if you haven't dined at Cornish Pasty? We don't think so. After all, downing a pint or three in the dark, narrow dining room of this longstanding neighborhood favorite is practically a rite of passage for Tempe-ites and hip Arizona State University students, who can't help but swoon over the spot's effortlessly cool atmosphere and affordable English fare.
Owner Dean Thomas opened the original Cornish Pasty Co. more than a decade ago and has since added locations in Mesa, Scottsdale, Las Vegas, and soon, downtown Phoenix. And before you question the authenticity of the place, know that Thomas was born in 1974 in the United Kingdom and graduated from culinary school in 1993. He moved to Tempe in 1999, opening Cornish Pastry Co. in January of 2005, introducing many a Valley resident to the beauty of the Cornish pasty (pronounced pass-tee).
Today he dishes on what he misses about England and his favorite place to get English fare — besides Cornish Pasty Co., of course.
My go-to place for healthy food in Phoenix is Hummus Express.
The best kept secret in Phoenix is Baiz market.
Three things I miss about England are family, British humor, and proper cider.
One thing most people don't know about me is [that] in 1996 in the U.K., I opened a Mexican restaurant and bar in a skate park.
Besides Cornish Pasty, my favorite place to get English food in Phoenix is The Rose and Crown.
The 2016 Tastemakers so far:
100. Aaron Chamberlin of St. Francis and Phoenix Public Market Cafe
99. Ross Simon of Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
98. Debby Wolvos of DW Photography
97. Anibal and Salem Beyene of Café Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant
96. Bo Mostow of Uptown Farmers Market
95. Julian Wright of Pedal Haus Brewery
94. Stephen Jones of The Larder + The Delta
93. Eric Glomski of Page Spring Cellars
92. Richard Bock of Giuseppe's on 28th
91. Walter Sterling of Ocotillo
90. Daniel Sevilla of Angry Crab Shack
89. Doug Robson of Gallo Blanco and Otro Cafe
88. LaDawn Driscoll of Liberty Market
87. Jason Calhoon of The Shop Beer Co. and Side Kick Cold Brew
86. Tim and Kim Cobb of United Lunchadores Street Gourmet
85. Micah Olson of Bar Crudo and Okra Cookhouse and Cocktails
84. Paola Embry of Christopher's + Crush and The Wrigley Mansion
83. Jared Porter of The Clever Koi
82. Diane Corieri of Evening Entertainment Group
81. Erich Schultz of Steadfast Farm Shares His Go-To Place For Beer That Tastes "Like Arizona"
80. Jeff and Leah Huss of Huss Brewing Company
79. Aaron Pool of Gadzooks Enchiladas and Soup
78. Diana Santospago of The Maine Lobster Lady food truck
77. Gio Osso of Virtu Honest Craft and Nico Heirloom Kitchen
76. Lauren Bailey of Upward Projects
75. Rodney Hu of Arizona Distilling Company and Yucca Tap Room
74. Jacob Cutino of Homeboy's Hot Sauce
73. Country and Sergio Velador of Super Chunk Sweets and Treats