With Thanksgiving upon us -- and knowing that some people are already pie'd out -- we figured that making some cookies for your guests to snack on post dinner would be a good idea.
Sticking with the pilgrims, these cutie cookies serve the sweet tooth and the theme. They are also fun to make; anything that involves dipping anything into liquid chocolate is. This is really a thrifty recipe and requires mostly items you'll likely already have in the cupboard.
Learn how to make chocolate covered pilgrim cookies after the jump.
2 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 c butter, softened
1 1/2 c white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c butter, melted
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
3 c powder sugar
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Marshmallows (one per cookie)
1 Dark Chocolate bar
1 bar of Yellow Laffy Taffy
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir in flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
2. In a separate large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add in egg and vanilla. Roll dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
4. Allow cookies to cool.
5. For frosting: In a large bowl, combine butter and cocoa; beat until well mixed. Add in the milk, vanilla and salt; beat until smooth. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until frosting is smooth and creamy. Add more milk if you want a thinner consistency.
6. Frost each cooled cookie with the chocolate frosting
7. For hat topper: In a microwave safe bowl break up dark chocolate squares, cook on high for 30 seconds, stir
8. Next grab the marshmallows and dip them into the liquid chocolate.
9. Place them on top of the chocolate frosted cookies.
10. Buckle: To finish them off take a piece of yellow Laffy Taffy and place it on a microwave safe plate. Microwave it for 15 seconds. Roll in hands to make a snake like shape and then form a ribbon around the base of the top hat and make a square to act as the buckle, press it into the chocolate.
Serve. Eat. Enjoy!