While helping an elderly neighbor of mine to unpack all of her Christmas things I came across a vintage ornament printed with a recipe for Campbell's tomato soup cake. She shared with me that this was a popular thing to do bake in the day when you were trying to be thrifty and change up flavors. It was also from the hay day of adding cream soups to everything. Those days have died out somewhat, but for a thrifty Christmas throwback I thought I would give it a shot. I didn't follow their recipe because they just used a boxed cake mix and I am more interested in the "from scratch" approach. I added a contemporary spin by making the recipe into cupcakes instead of a cake. They are actually pretty good.
Learn how to make Tomato Soup Spice Cupcakes after the jump
2 C flour
1 1/3 C sugar
4 tspn baking powder
1 1/2 tspn allspice
1 tspn baking soda
1 tspn cinnamon
½ tspn cloves
1 small can Tomato Soup
1/2 C crisco
1/4 C water
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tspn milk
1 tspn vanilla
1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Place cupcake wrappers into cupcake pans
3. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, allspice, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves in bowl.
4. Add soup, shortening, eggs and water. Using a standing mixer, mix at low speed.
5. Bake 12 minutes or until done. Cool in pans then move to on wire racks.
1. Combine cream cheese, milk and vanilla in a medium bowl.
2. Use and upright mixer at medium speed, beat until creamy.
3. Slowly add the powdered sugar, mix until smooth.
4. If it is stiff add a little more milk so it is spreadable.
5. Frost cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Enjoy this simple and thrifty recipe from goods right out of your cupboard.