If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
I had to go for arty instead of trying to be the taste test winner. I took the Trefoil cookies, smashed them into particles and used them as sand for a visual delight - an edible terrarium.
Learn how to make an edible terrarium after the jump.
White Cake Mix
Green, Brown, Red and Purple Gel Food Coloring
Cool Whip Large Container
1 box Trefoil Girl Scout Cookies
1 pack Starbursts
4 to 8 small Tootsie-Rolls
Candy rocks or candy eggs
1. Prepare white cake mix to manufacturers directions
2. Using food coloring, mix in to cake mix for desired moss green color
3. Bake cake
4. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool
5. Using food coloring, mix in to container of cool whip for desired green color
6. Place Trefoil Cookies into a plastic zip closed bag, releasing all the air, then smash with a rolling pin
7. In a large glass bowl break up cake into chunks resembling moss, fill 2/3 of the bowl
8. Place in a layer of the green cool whip
9. Add a layer of the crumbled cookie "sand"
10. Cover part of the top with more cake "moss"
11. Using Starbursts and Tootsie-Rolls, unwrap, place on a microwave safe plate, microwave for 15 seconds
12. Immediately work the Starbursts and Tootsie-Rolls in to plants and grass forms, place these along with candy rocks or candy eggs on top of the cake
13. Chill, serve and enjoy