When we reviewed "The Hobbit" menu at Denny's, it should be noted that it took two reporters, including one who writes a column called "Guilty Pleasures," and we still didn't eat everything on the menu. Yet here is a man who single-handedly polished off everything on the special menu in one sitting and under 20 minutes.
In our defense, Jamie "The Bear" McDonald, is a competitive eater who spends his time "mauling" his way through vast stacks of food and beverages for the amusement of the public.
While his eating feat here is surely impressive --we particularly enjoyed his glances backwards as he neared the finish line, polishing off the milk shake with one eye on the clock -- let's put his feat of gluttony into some perspective. Here is a listing of everything he ate and their caloric value:
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
- Hobbit Hole Breakfast: 1160 calories
- Shire Sausage Skillet: 1220 calories.
- Frodo's Pot Roast Skillet: 880 calories.
- The Ring Burger: 1420 calories.
- Gandalf's Gobble Melt: 850 calories.
- Dwarves' Turkey & Dressing Dinner: 710 calories.
- Lonely Mountain Treasure: 570 calories.
- Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies: 470 calories
- Bilbo's Berry Smoothie: 230 calories.
- Lone-Lands Campfire Cookie Milk Shake: 1100 calories.
Grand Total: 8610 calories. Also: 17620 mg sodium. FDA recommended sodium intake? 2300 mg.
To put this in further perspective you have to realize that a single slice of cooked bacon clocks in at about 80 calories. So you would have to choke through around 107 slices of bacon to match this meal on calories alone.