See also: Michael Marin, "Burning Man," Had Some Sort of "Medical Emergency" After Verdict Read
See also: Michael Marin, "Burning Man," Found Guilty of Arson
See also: Burning Man: An Attorney Says He Escaped His Blazing Home Using Scuba Gear; Now He's Charged with Arson
UPDATE: We've received confirmation that authorities are thinking Marin ingested something, and Channel 3 has video of the entire episode.
"Burning Man" Michael Marin died after his "medical emergency" in the courtroom yesterday, which came after a jury handed down a guilty verdict in Marin's arson case.
Fox 10 had its camera on Marin's face as the verdict came in, and it sure looks like he put something in his mouth before he started having an apparent seizure and fell unconscious in the courtroom.
CPR was performed on Marin before he was transported to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Maricopa County Sheriff's Office spokesman Jeff Sprong says it'll take a couple weeks to find out if Marin actually ingested something that caused his death, but it sure looks like he did.
"It looks to us like he did put something in his mouth," Sprong says.
Sprong adds that there was nothing obvious was found on Marin that would indicate he was in possession of something like a pill.
A court spokesman said Marin was transported to a hospital after he collapsed, and Judge Bruce Cohen ruled that "footage of [Marin's] medical treatment" could not be aired, but thanks to Fox 10, there's footage of what happened before that medical treatment was needed.
Check it out:
Here's the video from Channel 3 of Marin collapsing:
Marin was found guilty of arson of an occupied structure for burning down his Biltmore Estates mansion in July 2009.
Marin gave his explanation to New Times writer Paul Rubin the next month, which led to Rubin's "Burning Man" cover story.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Prosecutors alleged Marin had been having financial problems at the time, so he lit up his own pad, and escaped out a second-floor window wearing scuba equipment.
We're still trying to confirm some details about what happened, so stay tuned for updates.