82: Carrie Bloomston
Carrie Blooston is an abstract painter with a sharp focus on both her family and her business (a faux-finishing, ventian plaster and mural-painting company). These days the only things she really paints are murals for clients and almond butter on bread,and that's just fine with her. She's also recently gotten into sewing. She blogs at suchitysuch.blogspot.com
Five things on your inspiration wall:
1. Japanese fabrics. OMG.
2. A Denyse Schmidt quilt from the Mt. Lebanon series. They are modern and minimal and spare. Quilts don't usually breathe -- these do. They are filled with space ... after all, I am an abstract painter, so for me these are a quilting jackpot -- like Rothko in shot cotton.
3. Nikole Herriott's magical wind-blown flags topping the confections she creates for forty-sixth at grace. They take me to a time that never was and never shall be ... precious lands beneath bell jars. A bit of Le Petit Prince- sans the Prince.
4. Gee's Bend Quilts. They are born of necessity. Made from used materials -- jeans worn for many years, repurposed for warmth after they are no longer wearable. The designs are frugal and abstract ... not fussy or fussed-over ... direct and honest. The women of Gee's Bend inspire me much. I miss my Alabama roots.
5. Kris Keul's sculptures. OK- he is my husband. But, how I do love his work- filled with contradictions: rough and graceful at once, ephemeral and yet of-the-earth, dainty and chain-sawed. Sometimes things just are what they are.
6. Our 4 year old's drawing, in the style of his dad's work, to be used as a plan for a future collaboration in wood. Oh, the tenderness, the honoring in this little drawing. It says, "I see you, Dad."
What was your last big project?
For my client: a children's playroom mural of monkeys swinging by their tails!
What's your next big project:
I want to make my first quilt. Gulp.
How much do you hate being asked what your next big project is?
Love it. If I am making things, thinking about making things, or talking about things I want to make, then I am having a few precious minutes to myself!
What's something you want Phoenix to know about you?
I could be illegal, Governor.
The Creatives, so far:
100. Fausto Fernandez
99. Brian Boner
98. Carol Panaro-Smith
97. Jane Reddin
96. Adam Dumper
95. Mayme Kratz
94. Daniel Tantalean
93. Yuri Artibise
92. Lisa Starry
91. Paul Hoeprich
90. Betsy Schneider
89. Mary Shindell
88: Gabriel Utasi
87: Tiffany Egbert
86. Angela Cazel Jahn
85. Dayvid LeMmon
84. Beatrice Moore
83. Michelle J. Martinez