We've compiled a list of the Top 40 songs about Arizona. Today, we give you songs 40 through 21. The rest arrive next week.
40. 'Sara Says' — Pistoleros"Sara Cina says there's love in California/But the way she contradicts, you know it's not just for you/And on the highway out of Tempe, Arizona/She might find a way to change your mind"
39. 'Why Arizona' — Chris Richards"Out there on a lonely desert corner/Clues are swirling though the air/When I get to Why Arizona, maybe I'll know where to go from there."
38. 'Ghetto Cowboy' — Bone Thugs-N-Harmony"These directions say we go to Tucson, Arizona/When we arrive, we'll cop a place we can bunk/And meet my boy in the morning for details and hookup."
37. 'You Can Have Her' — Sir Mix-A-Lot"I used to have this girl, let's say her name was Mona/Mona, fine young sugar comin' out of Arizona."
36. 'Under African Skies' — Paul Simon"I said take this child, lord/From Tucson, Arizona/Give her the wings to fly through harmony."
35. 'Back in the Day' — Dred Scott"Big Mo hooked me with a kid named Diamond D/Not the one from the east, he went to school in Arizona/Said he liked the way I rocked the microphone-a."
34. 'Readymade' — Red Hot Chili Peppers"I've got cousin making beats/Deep down in Arizona/We're gonna rocket to Ramone's/In the city of Pomona."
33. 'Never Been to Spain' — Hoyt Axton"Well I've never been to heaven/But I've been to Oklahoma/Well they tell me I was born there/But I really don't remember/In Oklahoma, not Arizona/What does it matter?"
32. 'Your Arizona Room' — Everclear"We can stay in bed until the sun turns into the moon/I will hold you and smile safe in your Arizona room."
31. 'Alone in Arizona' — Exene Cervenka"My heart's in California/I'm alone in Arizona."
30. 'Tucson, Arizona' — Dan Fogelberg"Tucson, Arizona/Rising in the heat like a mirage/Tony keeps his Chevy/Like a virgin locked in his garage."
29. 'Route 66' — Bobby Troup"You see Amarillo, Gallup, New Mexico, Flagstaff, Arizona/Don't forget Winona, Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino."
28. 'Sissyneck' — Beck"Now let me tell you about my baby/She was born in Arizona/Sitting in the jailhouse/Trying to learn some good manners."
27. 'Arizona Star' — Guy Clark"When you're cool, the sun shines all the time/So she always kept her shades on to keep from going blind/She was cool, she was out there so far/She was nothin' less and nothin' more than the Arizona star."
26. 'Big Iron' — Marty Robbins"Now the stranger started talking made it plain to folks around/Was an Arizona ranger wouldn't be too long in town/He came here to take an outlaw back alive or maybe dead/And he said it didn't matter he was after Texas Red."
25. 'Song to the Orphans' — Bruce Springsteen"How many wasted have I seen signed/ 'Hollywood or bust'/Left to ride them ever ghostly Arizona gusts."
24. 'Comin' to Your City' — Big and Rich"In Phoenix, Arizona/We Drank way too much Corona.
23. 'King of Arizona' — Clutch"Swallow took the sun/From that bitter ground/And now we were heavy/With the burden of a crown/We are the King of Arizona/We are the King of Arizona."
22. 'King Tut' — Steve Martin"Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia/He was born in Arizona, got a condo made of stone-a/King Tut!"
21. 'Little Egypt' — The Coasters"She had a picture of a cowboy tattooed on her spine/Saying Phoenix, Arizona, nineteen forty-nine."
Editor's note: A version of this article originally ran in 2011.