New Times has come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass -- and we're all out of bubblegum.
New Times writers and designers have been nominated sixfold for this year's Association of Alternative Newsmedia's AltWeekly Awards.
This comes a month after raking in 30 journalism awards, including first places for investigative reporting, immigration coverage, news and opinion blogging, and design from the Arizona Press Club.
And the finalists are:
- Stephen Lemons -- political column: Recalling Russell Pearce; His Own Worst Enemy; and Kissing His Political Career Goodbye
- Jason Woodbury -- music reporting/criticism: Premier Queensryche Tribute Band Lived the Dream; Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, and The Walkmen; and Is Aaron Lewis the World's Most Obnoxious Country-Western Wanna-Be?
- Chow Bella -- staff blog: Tucson's Cafe 54 Serves the Mentally Ill; Horchata Bread Pudding; Kim Porter's Ham Taco Christmas; Five Tips for Making the Perfect Eggnog; and Where's the Last Great Restaurant You Dined?
- Kyle T. Webster -- illustration: Hindsight
- Staff -- innovation/format buster: Best of Phoenix Map
- Robrt L. Pela -- arts criticism: Weird-Looking Churches; Leave It to the Kids; and Refugee Community Training Garden
The winners will be announced on June 8, during the annual AAN Convention in Detroit.