The day after another wildfire started north of Sedona, the Forest Service said yesterday that the size and containment of the Junipine Fire was unchanged overnight.
According to the latest update from the Forest Service, released yesterday afternoon, the fire is still just 12 acres, but it's burning very near to where the 22,000 acre Slide Fire was just contained last week.
In addition to this new fire, the Forest Service says there's land within the Slide Fire that's still burning, although that's not related to the new Junipine Fire, even though they're very close to each other.
"Fire managers are monitoring its behavior and do not expect any significant movement because it is well in the interior and surrounded by burned area, but smoke will be noticeable," the announcement says. "It is not uncommon for pockets in the interior to continue to smolder and burn for several weeks."
The Forest Service says it's believed that a downed power line caused this new fire, the Junipine Fire, but that hasn't been confirmed. The Slide Fire was human-caused, and authorities haven't yet found who's responsible for it.
The Forest Service reported that firefighting crews already had 25 percent containment of the Junipine Fire on Monday afternoon, and had hoped to have it completely contained yesterday.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
As of yesterday, there were as many as 70 people working to fight the fire. There are no structures threatened by the fire at this point, although there were evacuations on Monday that were lifted later that night.
UPDATE 10:44 a.m.: The Forest Service says the fire was 100 percent contained overnight.
Got a tip? Send it to: Matthew Hendley.