70. Scott Holmes of Little Miss BBQ
Ask anyone who knows anything about barbecue in metro Phoenix where you find the best smoked meats in town, and you're almost guaranteed to get one answer: Little Miss BBQ. And don't let the innocent-sounding name fool you. This is a world-class barbecue joint located in the shadow of our own Sky Harbor Airport.
Before opening Little Miss BBQ in 2014, owner Scott Holmes and wife Bekke had already been barbecuing for many years. Today, he can say he's been smoking 'cue for more than a decade, including four and a half years spent competing in Kansas City Barbeque Society competitions. He won multiple grand championships and other awards even before he opened the restaurant, which has since earned titles such as Best BBQ in Phoenix and Best New Restaurant.
Today, Holmes dishes on the best place for a quick escape and the most important things to know about barbecue.
My go-to place for a quick escape in Phoenix is Dreamy Draw Recreation Area.
The best-kept secret in Phoenix is how quick it is to escape to a place much cooler or away from a lot of people. With so many options, it is easy to forget how many we really have.
The three most important things to know about barbecue are [that] it's about community and family; the more you have fun with, it the better it is; and patience, patience, patience.
Ten years ago, I was working as a senior project manager for an environmental abatement company and just starting to barbecue.
If I opened another restaurant tomorrow, it would be another barbecue restaurant that we already have a name for. Someday.
The 2016 Tastemakers so far:
100. Aaron Chamberlin of St. Francis and Phoenix Public Market Cafe
99. Ross Simon of Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
98. Debby Wolvos of DW Photography
97. Anibal and Salem Beyene of Café Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant
96. Bo Mostow of Uptown Farmers Market
95. Julian Wright of Pedal Haus Brewery
94. Stephen Jones of The Larder + The Delta
93. Eric Glomski of Page Spring Cellars
92. Richard Bock of Giuseppe's on 28th
91. Walter Sterling of Ocotillo
90. Daniel Sevilla of Angry Crab Shack
89. Doug Robson of Gallo Blanco and Otro Cafe
88. LaDawn Driscoll of Liberty Market
87. Jason Calhoon of The Shop Beer Co. and Side Kick Cold Brew
86. Tim and Kim Cobb of United Lunchadores Street Gourmet
85. Micah Olson of Bar Crudo and Okra Cookhouse and Cocktails
84. Paola Embry of Christopher's + Crush and The Wrigley Mansion
83. Jared Porter of The Clever Koi
82. Diane Corieri of Evening Entertainment Group
81. Erich Schultz of Steadfast Farm Shares His Go-To Place For Beer That Tastes "Like Arizona"
80. Jeff and Leah Huss of Huss Brewing Company
79. Aaron Pool of Gadzooks Enchiladas and Soup
78. Diana Santospago of The Maine Lobster Lady food truck
77. Gio Osso of Virtu Honest Craft and Nico Heirloom Kitchen
76. Lauren Bailey of Upward Projects
75. Rodney Hu of Arizona Distilling Company and Yucca Tap Room
74. Jacob Cutino of Homeboy's Hot Sauce
73. Country and Sergio Velador of Super Chunk Sweets and Treats
72. Dean Thomas of Cornish Pasty Co.
71. Jennifer Caraway of The Joy Bus