Some Races Neck-and-Neck as Statewide Votes Pour In; Grijalva and Horne Pulling Ahead, for the Moment
Gabrielle Giffords appears to be pulling off a win against Republican Jesse Kelly.
The medical marijuana initiative, Proposition 203, is just one of several statewide races that look like they might end in a photo finish.
At 10 p.m. approaches, here are some of the closest ones according to the Arizona Secretary of State's Office:
* Prop 203 -- With 70 percent of precincts reporting, medical marijuana's losing 588,578 votes to 575,840.
NBA Preseason Basketball: Phoenix Suns v. Utah Jazz
TicketsWed., Oct. 5, 7:00pm
Arizona Coyotes vs. San Jose Sharks
TicketsFri., Oct. 7, 7:00pm
TicketsSat., Oct. 8, 7:00pm
NBA Preseason Basketball: Phoenix Suns v. Dallas Mavericks
TicketsFri., Oct. 14, 7:00pm
* Prop 112 -- The intiative that would change the initiative process (the deadline to turn in petition signatures, to be precise) is winning by a mere 500 or so votes.
* Prop 110 -- Land trusts/land swaps a 50-50 proposition, leading slightly by a few thousand votes.
And for the close, but not really that close:
* Raul Grijalva looks like he'll pull out a win over a political newcomer, but he's only up by 3 percent. We'd still give Ruth McClung a chance, though a mighty slim one. These results are abysmal for Grijalva, who represents a heavily Hispanic district. He's certainly taught future politicians a lesson: Don't call for a boycott against your own state.
* Tom Horne is now up by about 5 points over Felecia Rotellini, his Democratic contender for Arizona Secretary of State. It was a good run for Rotellini.
* Gabrielle Giffords is up 4 points over her Republican opponent, Jesse Kelly. If Giffords pulls this off, as it looks like she will, she'll be one of the heroes of today's Democratic massacre.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Phoenix New Times' biggest stories.