100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Ceviche at El Chullo
This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
During the long, hot Phoenix summer, I can't get enough of dishes like the ceviche at El Chullo in central Phoenix. Tart, bright, and cool, this plate of marinated fish rejuvenates your tastebuds when they've all but expired in the desert heat.
The restaurant, if you've never been, is a cozy little family-run spot that serves authentic Peruvian food and drink. There's excellent seafood plates such as the jalea pescado, as well as Peruvian tamales and finger-lickingly good crispy yucca fritas. The ceviche, of course, is a don't-miss dish; you'll get chunks of citrus-marinated sea bass topped with red onions and cilantro and served with sweet potato and corn. The starches are there to balance out the tartness of the fish — though it's the spice and citrus that will keep you coming back for more.
End your meal with one of the alfajores on display on the bar. The dessert features two, buttery cookies filled with manjar blanca, a sweet caramel sauce, and topped with an inevitably messy amount of powdered sugar.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.